Does anyone know what type of GT frame this is?

HypnoToad

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
All I know is that it's a GT as it has the triple triangle and that it is made from steel.

Does anyone know roughly what year it's from, and what fork would be best to use with it?

Thanks

Here's a photo

9ZFN1BIl.jpg

NEm8azJl.jpg

Re: Hi, does anyone know what type of frame this is?

Talera or Outpost I think as it has external brake stops under top tube. Higher end ones had internal or what I think they call a groove tube in underside of top tube. Exact year, no idea ?

Thanks, I guess the year isn't really that important, I was just interested to know which forks it came its originally.

I'm planning to use an 80mm front fork, would this be ok? Or would it be a case of trying it out and see how it handled?

Find yourself a serial number on it and the GT loat should know the year at least from that I would have though.

HypnoToad":1m6uld79 said:
Thanks, I guess the year isn't really that important, I was just interested to know which forks it came its originally.

I'm planning to use an 80mm front fork, would this be ok? Or would it be a case of trying it out and see how it handled?

Just build it and see , pay no heed to the " ooh that forks the wrong size " crowd
I think it's a possibly a Karakoram frame from 94 ish ,but I have been wrong before , but only once right

:D

Ok, once I've extracted the stuck seat post, I'll add the 80mm fork and be done with it. :)
FluffyChicken":hyibxau1 said:
Find yourself a serial number on it and the GT loat should know the year at least from that I would have though.
Ok, it's not the best photo as I used a phone in a dark garage but I can make out 0689 if that means anything?

PlIfqpbl.jpg

Or I guess I may be reading it upside down and it's actually 6890? :s

I don't know GT but I would guess that would be the end of the code and the rest is under the battered rust part.

Edit your topic title and stick GT in it to bring them in.

Cheers, I've edited the title. :)

Project remove seatpost has now turn into project dissolve seatpost, I'm now waiting for caustic soda to melt it's way thru the seatpost, it's pretty powerful stuff! Once the seatpost is out I'll be able to get some better photos if needed.

It's not a Karakoram, due to the integrated seat clamp and external brake stops.

As a stab I'd say something like a '94 Talera.

That frame number looks like the end code, as Ben says. My 90s steel GTs have 3 sections of code, the first of which has a letter followed by four numbers. The four numbers, I believe are two for the year, then too for the month. So my Karakoram Elite, "I9009", was built September 1990 ('91 model) and my Richter 8.0, "T9210", was built October 1992 ('93 model).

That's all my own interpretation of the model numbers, I could well be wrong!

Thanks, that makes sense, I'm still waiting for the damn seat post to dissolve, other things I did notice were some mounts to put a rear rack and also 2 bottle mounts on the frame.

Do know if there would be any issues with putting on a rear disk mount?

Back