The joys of owning a Retrobike

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Went into Brick Lane Bikes today to pick up some wheels I had built.
Was on my Dynatech.
My bike was like royalty, wheeled on through the door and admired by all the staff along with customers then carefully placed on the bike rack where it proudly sat before I was eventually served about 8 mins later.

Sure turned some heads and attracted attention. But I felt left out!
I'm jealous of my bike!

But I'm amazed at the amount of attention it got.

Re: The joys of owning a Retrobike - jealousy??

When I visit my LBS I usually just get laughed at for owning 'obsolete kit'. They didn't like my Vitus Futural at all and told me that it was dangerous and not to ride it. I took in my DB the other day and showed off my thumbies. I got told that it would be better to fit something more reliable and that they look like the Sturmey Archer 5 speeds that they sell.....

I've taken it all in good humour. I love my bikes and would never part with them. You are right though, they do seem to get more attention than something modern. Be it negative or positive, its all good in my book.

Something more reliable than thumbies; and that would be??

i love taking old stuff in to the shops, i stopped somewhere on my muddy fox a while ago, got loads of attention (it is mint though).

a while ago in london i was riding around (lost) caught up with 2 guys at some traffic lights who were riding together, one was on an alpinestars almega with dx through out but a bit messy, the other was one a modern trek full suss, i said "nice almega mate" the guy on the trek looked really disappointed that i didn't mention his top end bike :LOL:

I had a very animated conversation with a young guy at Peddleabikeaway last year when I took my Zaskar over there. He was telling me all about it and what the best features were. ;)

My LBS wouldn't be bothered if I took it in there, as they supplied all the bits for it back in 94.

jonnyboy666":2gpp7tjr said:
i love taking old stuff in to the shops, i stopped somewhere on my muddy fox a while ago, got loads of attention (it is mint though).

a while ago in london i was riding around (lost) caught up with 2 guys at some traffic lights who were riding together, one was on an alpinestars almega with dx through out but a bit messy, the other was one a modern trek full suss, i said "nice almega mate" the guy on the trek looked really disappointed that i didn't mention his top end bike :LOL:
That's because he was on a Trek, not a top end bike.

jitensha":3d64o2iv said:
When I visit my LBS I usually just get laughed at for owning 'obsolete kit'. They didn't like my Vitus Futural at all and told me that it was dangerous and not to ride it. I took in my DB the other day and showed off my thumbies. I got told that it would be better to fit something more reliable and that they look like the Sturmey Archer 5 speeds that they sell.....

I've taken it all in good humour. I love my bikes and would never part with them. You are right though, they do seem to get more attention than something modern. Be it negative or positive, its all good in my book.

I reckon it depends, I took my RSP to Halfords, and the mechanic thought I should get some Hollowtech Cranks and Hollowtech bottom bracket, he seemed to think Phil Wood and Syncros were Mickey Mouse or crap.

At another LBS the guy admired my bike then said I've the wrong hubs on the wheels (XT on Mavic 517 Sup) and I should replace the Mavics with LX Wheels.

Back