ex Juliana Furtado or not?!?

-Niellesie-

Senior Retro Guru
i just picked up this bike but the seller told me a long story about this frame
i hope everyone can understand me my english is not very good (im from the Netherlands)

the seller told me that he bought the frame, bidon, king headset and syncros post from Juliana Furtado self back in the days in Houffalize. He thought it was in 93 or 94

He told me that she said that this was an ex trainingbike from the team.

He was also really specific about what he paid for it, and he looked really honest to me, he was not telling this story for the money imo.

if anybody can tell me more or can tell me that this story cant be true please let me know ;)

and does anybody know what the canti's are at the front?

the frame is 14.5 inch

GroteFoto-74W7TRF7.jpg

GroteFoto-PIPOTJXO.jpg

GroteFoto-3ACRU8IJ.jpg

GroteFoto-QZKZCVIN.jpg

GroteFoto-IJU8W4GT.jpg

Well, the frame number confirms the date of manufacture as April 93, so 93 / 4 is feasible, but the bike is a bit on the small side as Juli is 5' 6" (1.67m).

I guess some research into races and dates could find which members of the GT team attended which races, but I think you have a tough job proving if the seller is right or wrong.

Whatever, that's a really nice Zaskar.

I came across a Furtado frame last year and instead of a serial number it had this

IMG_0144_zps9e15f66c.jpg

I wouldn't trust the story. I've never seen a single photo of her riding or racing anything but a Xizang or RTS.

Oh, and those are Critical Racing cantilevers.

I seriously doubt that any serious racer would have even their training bike blinged-out like that. Those cantis, those hubs, the snowflake spokes, etc.
It's also running a mere Quadra fork, which is weird choice even for a mere training bike.
Same with the DX front mech. You'd expect at least XT.
The back-to-front seat post and riser bar could be an addition by a later owner, but why would you modify a bike that can be tied to a known racer?

Raging_Bulls":r018rn5o said:
The back-to-front seat post and riser bar could be an addition by a later owner, but why would you modify a bike that can be tied to a known racer?

Because in 1994 it was just a year old secondhand bike, possibly bought from a visiting racer?

Raging_Bulls":r018rn5o said:
I seriously doubt that any serious racer would have even their training bike blinged-out like that. Those cantis, those hubs, the snowflake spokes, etc.
It's also running a mere Quadra fork, which is weird choice even for a mere training bike.
Same with the DX front mech. You'd expect at least XT.

^This though. So few authentic parts, regular serial number etc...not impossible but seems unlikely.

He said the guy only bought the frame/headset/post/cage. Guess he, knowing this was such an importand bike built it up with complete crap he had lying about.
Also I wouldn't have thought that she would have trained on a different bike that she raced on,as in I would think a pro would want another xizang to train on, set up exactly the same, but i'm no a pro so that me be crazy talk.
And yeah, I thought she rode a smaller bike, but that looks way smaller.

But you never know...but I'd be leaning towards, not likely.

Nice story...
It is very strange he bought it from her without at least a signed receipt or similar to validate the claim. Without proof it is an ordinary Zaskar.

Back