Replace or upgrade

PaceRC200F7

Retro Newbie
My BB, I think a M950 is pretty much dead and having a closer look over the bike some of my components are looking pretty worn. Think I am looking at least a middle chainring for the FD-M951, and probably a new cassette which I think is a M950 which will mean a new chain....

So it got me thinking, do I replace a few parts or look to upgrade/modernise? Although I guess that means going away from 8sp and having to replace a lot more components.

Am i going to have a nightmare trying to get these replacement parts..... would like to keep the bike retro/original I think.

You'll get everything bar the middle ring. Those pesky middle rings are going to be the end of a lot of M95* cranksets & the 46T big ring means means the middle gets a lot of use.

ps you can get new BB's that fit, octalink V1 is the model you're looking for & it was used for road groupsets more prolifically than MTB.

excuse my ignorance but I though that the M950 XTR chainset used standard 4 hole *inner chainrings - or am I just being stupid? I only ever had the 5 hole version for about 3 months.

Image.Shimano26.gif

if so, the * middle rings are fairly easy to replace with Middleburn or other Shimano rings...?

*edited!

legrandefromage":2dwlectn said:
Ha! That old '112mm ' BCD curve ball.... oh well.

Change the spider?

Yes, you can change the spider, I posted a thread up with all the info, I've linked it recently as well in an M950 BB thread. It means you can use the M950 arms but lose the original aesthetic. The best donor cranks (XT M750 SQTP) aren't particularly cheap & naturally come with the possibility of worn rings. Alternatively there are middleburn or 5 bolt Shimano spiders but the cost of these unless you get very lucky + rings makes it financially not sensible.

Back