Help save an abandoned rockhopper!

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
8713943649_c082c04934_b.jpg

Found this dumped in a back street earlier today. Looks straight and rust free. It's a rockhopper FS, richey nitanium tubing, 19". Wondering whether it's a worthwhile project.

This is very modern by my standards :) and I have no idea whether it'll fit me (I'm 5'11 but with long legs). I've never had a bike with this sort of geometry.

Re: Found a rockhopper!

Chopper1192":1xob9iii said:
I'd be more worried over whether it belong to anyone.

Was in a pile of scrap in a wealthy area. It's not uncommon to see decent bikes thrown away due to condition etc. round here, and in it's current state I'm sure a bike shop would term it beyond economical repair. Not too worried to be honest.

You might want to look up "theft by finding".

That's a slightly more uncommon and hence recognisable frame than the normal dross you see about. In order to cover your arse report it to the local dibble, and if it's not after 28 days you're in the clear.

davemev":14wuymso said:
That's a 1998 Rockhopper FS. It came with RS Indy C's up front.
Full spec is here http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... YfyELe9Kc0

They were a lovely ride. Won't cost a lot to build to original spec and all the stuff is easily available on here.

Thanks! Interesting that it has rigid forks. Does the "fs" indicate suspension? Looks more like this:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... Yf-AkqCWSo

Appears the bits on it are original apart from the chainset. Rear mech doesn't look like it's done many miles.

Mine in signature is the same, putting finishing touches to that and it'll be up and running. Think the 17 inch would be better suited but that would be OK with seat down.

Good score, if all as above board etc etc

The Nitanium frames go for a fair bit on ebay, there are certainly fans of that frame around. Good find!

Yes the FS means front suspension I think. I nearly bought this bike but opted for the 1997 Rockhopper A1 instead! It was rigid but at the time I wanted an aluminium frame. I've still got it now. So are you gonna build it?

Back