Hungary:A Galaxis headset

Maxipedia

Retro Guru
While I was at it, taking pictures with the metallic green Klein fork in the other thread, I remembered I have this and actually not much use to it.

DSC_0314.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0317.JPG

This is a Hungary:A Galaxis headset, just like the name suggests. Back in the day, German:A made quality forks and rear shocks with elastomers and needle bearings in a very distinctive fashion. At some point they had a Hungarian branch, as far as I can understand, since it was pretty much the same product but with a slight different branding. Somehow I suspect that the Hungarians did more than just forks, but I don't know how the German and Hungarian companies were related and I can just speculate on that. I can remember, though, that Hungary had other producers of local quality stuff and one company clearly comes to mind, that being Yasec.

I got this headset from a friend who is one of our MTB pioneers and he is of Hungarian descent. He's actually quite the legend, still races and his younger girl is the most promising cyclist in Romania and a Red Bull athlete. 14 years ago, I used to travel 170 km just to visit his shop and look at the stuff he had there. I can't forget the Killer V he was racing and the gazillion of goodies he had stacked in his shop that was more of a man cave with price tags than an actual shop. We became good friends and I always visit him when I'm around. The man is just pure joy!

Back to the thread, the headset has rusty bearings that need to be changed, a dented lower race and is missing an upper part. I have no idea where to source those from, so I opened this thread to ask fellow retrobikers from Hungary if they know if the company still exists and if they have any use for this. I can send it for no charge since it only sits around and it's most likely that a guy from Hungary could source out the missing parts.

Any comments are welcome.

If you need it and can make it work, let me know and I'll see what the easiest way to send it is.

Cheers,
Mx

Back