The bike's you never bought.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
When I look through the members bikes here I'm always reminded of the bikes I test road, but didn't buy for some reason or other. What bikes did you almost buy and why didn't you buy them.

My first mountain bike was an 88 Rocky Mountain Fusion. The close second was a white Kona Lavadome with the splatter paint job. I didn't go for it, but it came with Suntour components and it had these funky roller cam brakes.

My second mountain bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper FS. Probably the worst bike choice I made - they just weren't designed for the local conditions. I should have bought a Kona, but didn't even test ride one. The bikes that were a close second and third was a KHS Montana Pro and a Bridgestone MB2. I was sucked in by the crappy noodly suspension fork on the Stumpy. I wish I had that KHS today - it was a great bike. True temper tubing, sub-25 lb weight and full XT build. I could have done without the pink fork, but still great bike for the money.

I can't remember the also rans when I bought my 98 Norco Sasquatch. I really wanted a Rampage, but couldn't afford it (I had to buy an engagement ring) and got the cheaper bike. I test road some Brodies and the Rocky Soul. I liked that bike, but it couldn't handle ever increasing weight and the harsh local conditions. I really don't pine after any of the condenters back then - maybe if I'd had a half decent budget and been able to test ride a Cinder Cone or a Rocky Blizzard....

I always seemed to be test riding Marin's and not buying them either.

I own all the bikes that I couldn't get back in the day! That's what makes this hobby so satisfying! All the stuff you couldn't afford....well you can now!!

Chickenball":3p989nyb said:
I own all the bikes that I couldn't get back in the day! That's what makes this hobby so satisfying! All the stuff you couldn't afford....well you can now!!

Pretty much this, but, the bike I should have bought and didn't was in around 90 / 91 when I was looking for a new bike and a local store had an end of year sale. They had the top of the line spec Saracen, I can't remember the name but it was a Team Killi something; it was dripping in all the top kit and was at a rock bottom price. I should never have walked away from that. :facepalm:

Chickenball":2guyy2zh said:

See that's where I've gone wrong - all of my bikes meet some practical need because my bike budget is laughable. Every time I've tried to snag a retrobike they've been crap or too small or overpriced. I really need to hit the police auction or go dumpster diving.

dirttorpedo":2bditjiu said:
Chickenball":2bditjiu said:

See that's where I've gone wrong - all of my bikes meet some practical need because my bike budget is laughable. Every time I've tried to snag a retrobike they've been crap or too small or overpriced. I really need to hit the police auction or go dumpster diving.

Nah, but you need buckets of patience. I've had an LTS for £100, and an immaculate Kona Fire mountain for £50.

+1 for yesterdays dream bikes today!!!

I had a quick ride around the car park at Leisure Lakes near Southport on an Indian Fire Trail (1996?) and was sorely tempted, but ended up buying an Orange P7 from Biketreks in Ambleside instead.

The Marin seemed more exotic, but felt incredibly stiff. and I was trading in a Clockwork so there was some brand loyalty/patriotism involved. Also, the guys at Biketreks were more friendly.

Loved the P7 (just obtained another!), but still wonder if I would have enjoyed the IFT.

Chickenball":1lgtjbiy said:
Its true about patience......but alot has to do with luck as well. It also helps when you live where I do as well!

I live just down the road from you in New West.

Not so much what I didn't get but what I traded away or sold that I now deeply regret.
That's why I won't trade or sell anything now - sellers remorse might recur.
Unless its to get something else I really want :roll: ;)

Ha!

I remember back in early 94, I had come into some cash, so a new bike was on the cards... but had to realistic...
I had ridden an attitude and it was amazing, but cost way too much.
I really wanted a Zaskar, but they went from $3.5K up to $5K over night... and when I priced a Xizang frame...$5K was getting silly.
So I ended up with another Diamondback, the axis TR. The fact that it fit me perfectly and was a really good ride went a long way to aleaving the pain of not getting what I wanted, it really was a good bike and I hel onto it for ages.

I learned long ago, buy what you actually want, save up longer or whatever, but buying the thing you wanted in the first place. Cause for me, if I don't and buy something else, something more realistic or lesser, just because you don't really need it, just means I end up buying what I wanted eventually anyway and am pissed off at myself for having to by both. Of course thats is assuming it is attainable, like I managed to buy my dream car, audi ur quattro, while working in a service station, but I was never ever going to be able to get a sport quattro...

Latest posts

Back