Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:34 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Well..... I picked up the frame earlier from the strippers.

I'm very pleased with the job they've done. The cost to strip the frame, stem, and seat post was £15 all in, which lets be fair - is a total bargain.

Frame is totally clear of paint, with the exception of some tiny flecks of primer left on some of the welds.

Wanted to see how easy it would be to polish it from the as dipped finish, so I spent ten minutes on a bit of the seat post and top tube with some autosol. Looks like it should come up nicely with a bit of elbow grease.

As promised - I'm more than happy to recommend the guys that did the stripping. They ain't really set up for posting frames etc so only any use if you're relatively local I guess.

Wood Strip
16-18 Commercial Rd
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV1 3QS

O19O2 45O88O

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Nice project! Good on you to rescue that painted Zaskar!

I would go rigid as well. Period-correct forks of that time, e.g. the Rockshox 1 (see pic), weren't very good.

Scanned my GM...

I saw your WTB for a 3D (1992) or 2x4 fork (1991). Are you sure about the steerer length of minimum 150mm? Your frame looks like 18inch with 10cm head tube. In this case, a fork with 138 mm should be enough. Finding a 3D or 2x4 isn't easy and you should not make it harder by looking for a steerer length longer than you need.

Will you get forks and stem painted black? This would look very nice!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Rahbari wrote:
Nice project! Good on you to rescue that painted Zaskar!

I would go rigid as well. Period-correct forks of that time, e.g. the Rockshox 1 (see pic), weren't very good.

Scanned my GM...

I saw your WTB for a 3D (1992) or 2x4 fork (1991). Are you sure about the steerer length of minimum 150mm? Your frame looks like 18inch with 10cm head tube. In this case, a fork with 138 mm should be enough. Finding a 3D or 2x4 isn't easy and you should not make it harder by looking for a steerer length longer than you need.

Will you get forks and stem painted black? This would look very nice!

Cheers - I was just going on the 150mm length because what came off the bike were 148 and I'll need a bit extra because I need to run a cable hanger.

This is the scrap steerer off the old & totally dead Shock Tech forks that were on there:

And this is the frame measurement:

until about 5 minutes ago the bike was going to be running it's original Tioga double locknut headset too - which would add a few MM to the steerer tube in itself. I've just agreed a sale on an NOS deore DX headset though, so that will bring the measurement down again. I can't see it being down to 138mm though.

edit: Forks and stem will be black, yes. I've also sounded out Gil ragarding decals too & will be ordering them pretty soon. I don't have the money at the moment to do the whole bike with this level of detail unfortunately - so I'm concentrating on getting the F&F perfect, and using as much of the original drivetrain etc as possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

legrandefromage wrote:
I had the original RS MAG21 on mine but have had Judy DH, Reynolds and allsorts over the years. I now have something near to the original rigid GT forks instead.

I dont know the axle to crown measurement but I do remember that it needs to be over a certain length otherwise it feels as if the steering is all buggered up.

Axle-crown looks to be 395mm on the 2x4s on my '91 Zaskar.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 pm 
Retro Guru

kingoffootball wrote:

Axle-crown looks to be 395mm on the 2x4s on my '91 Zaskar.

Very useful to know - thanks for confirming.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Great work so far, had that bike in my watch list and forgot all about it (as usual :facepalm: ).

Nice of you to share the address of that paint stripping place, that's pretty useful to me as I'm only down the road.

If you're keen to get the bike up and running I have some forks sitting here doing nothing.They're pretty light, 1&1/8" threaded, 150mm steerer, approx 400mm axel to crown, LUNG-I stamped on the dropouts and shiney black paint in need of a couple of touch ups. If you're local to the Wolverhampton area (I'm guessing you are) and can collect, you can come and get them for nowt. Pm me if you're interested.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 pm 
Retro Guru

weeman_mtb wrote:
Great work so far, had that bike in my watch list and forgot all about it (as usual :facepalm: ).

Cheers :) and thanks for the offer of the forks. PM'd you..

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Looking good :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:38 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hey Paddy, any new updates on this bike?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I have RC36 on my Zaskar. Work beautifully and look spot on. I work near Dudley so quite local. Let me know if you want a gander :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next