GT Zaskar or Pantera ?

paddy311

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks. I'm after a bit of info on a bike I've just bought locally.

I *think* it is a GT Zaskar circa 1991 - but I understand that there are a few out there that are actually Panteras.

It has the flat cap on the end of the top tube, U brake on the rear, frame number 04910903 stamped on the inside of the left dropout, and NO stamping on the other dropout.

Any help confirming the identity would be great :)

Sounds like a Zaskar to me.

There is usually a frame size close to the frame number as well, 16, 18 etc.

Some photo's would help with definite identification.

Thanks guys.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when the light is better.

Is it right to say then, that early Zaskars sometimes don't have 6061 on the RH dropout ?

I think so, get your pics up and someone will put u straight. By the way did you get a full bike and what size is it?

Thanks. I've taken some pics anyway just now. They ain't great, but hopefully should be good enough to see whats what.

Off to try and work out the new Photobucket..... if I'm gone more than ten minutes I've given up :LOL:

The forks are Shocktech. I had exactly the same forks on my Zaskar when I built it in 94, mainly because I could not afford a pair of Pace forks.

I would have thought the elastomers had long since turned to goo. If they still work, then just service them the same as you would Pace, or replace them with GT rigid, Pace or whatever takes your fancy.

Just looking over the bike, you have some nice original kit there, Turbo saddle, Zefal bottle cage, Middleburn chain rings(?). That's a real early 90's build.

Latest posts

Back