Marktplaats

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
Does anyone have experience of purchasing from this site and shipping to the UK?

I've seen a nice bike I would like but unsure of buying overseas.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

As far as buying from overseas is concerned and you are unable to get someone you already trust to check out the bike Your post makes me think of this: Do all you can to minimise the risks!

Do your homework, find out as much as you can about the seller. If they check out as reliable and honest...
Build up a good level of communication with the seller.
Get alternative contact details like phone numbers, addresses.
Ask for loads of pictures.
Ask specific q's about certain bits/frame so you know exactly where you stand - No nasty surprises on opening the box, hopefully.
Tracked postage.
Photos from seller of bike in its box.. Well packed /on its way?

If seller is reluctant to do these things and doesn't see the risks from your point of view, then I'd walk away

You'll have buyer protection through the usual channels? but TRY to buy cheap as possible, so if there's issues & all else fails, you can recover the cash.

This list is sure to be added to by more experienced Rb'ers on their way in minute :D

Who wants to have a sale that ends in a dispute that needs negotiations across countries?

Hope this helps a bit.

I bought and sold lots on Marktplaats but I'm based in Holland ;)
Not many sellers are willing to go through the hassle of packing a complete bike even to send within Holland.
You can always try though. If you need help with translation or other just drop me a pm.
Cheers oy

A lot of Dutch retrobikers who are willing to help! If you want help, just let us know what add it is. Maybe some of us lives nearby....

Haha, I know. But it's to keep my 1994 M500, Killer V and M800 BOTE company. Love '90s Cannondale frames with the extended chainstays.

Please forgive me!

:cool: by me.. Afterall, its a Cannondale :D

Get ready to pack your bags...You may get moved by a mod to a road bike forum section now roadie content is revealed :)

Good luck with purchase!

Back