broken 1987 105 mtb freehub - fixable?

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I have a lovely set of high end 1987 wheels from my Raleigh Avanti and the freehub's gone. The hub is a shimano 105 - I'm not sure if they just used the road one or if they made an mtb version. I bought a replacement wheelset but now I have another bike they'd go really well on. I tried to get the 105 hub repaired but my LBS said it was such an old type of freehub that they couldn't get parts. They said only option would be to find the same hub and switch out the insides. I wouldnt be able to lace the rim onto another hub and that costs a fortune in a shop. Any suggestions?

Its probably a uniglide which can be swapped for an early hyperglide, get some pics of both hub body and free hub up and it will make it easier.

Carl

Yeah it's a 6. I'll get some pics up and be in touch, cheers!

This is why I love Retrobike - loads of helpful people with great knowledge and an incredible depth of kit. The guy in the bike shop was impressed with the wheels of my 92 pine mountain and even guessed what bike they came from (!) but he scoffed at the idea I could get replacement internals for this hub. Yet here I am just a few hours after posting with (maybe, subject to photos) the answer and the kit.

John, if you're reading, brilliant website, thanks mate!

Now I have a keyboard I can type more.

On my kili I had some '87 6 speed Deore uniglide kit with a ruined freehub. After taking the body off and checking Sheldons site I discovered that the mountain LX hub I had in my spares from an old wheel would make a donor as even though it was used as 7 speed hyperglide it was still actually threaded to take an older 6 speed uniglide cassette too. So I fitted it and it works perfectly.

Carl.

I'm SO annoyed with myself. I thought the wheel was safe and dry but it wasn't quite and it's picked up a bit of rust and needs a really good clean. Oh well, the main parts don't rust and I'm pretty sure it's salvageable - it needed a proper overhaul to fix it anyway. I'll get it in some coke and then apply some elbow grease. Dunno when I'll find time for that!

Anyway here's a pic of the hub if that's any use. When I get a chance I'll take it apart and get some pics of the insides.

DSC_0349_zps43ee3f4f.jpg

Back