Let's play DATE MY MECH!

samc

Retro Guru
Just to be clear, I don't mean 'date' as in go on a date with and gently woo with a glass of sherry and a charming anecdote about a cat, with a view to getting it into bed and rubbing yoghurt into it, but 'date' as in guess the year of manufacture.

1... 2... 3... go!

➡️ MECH A:
image.jpg

This has got to be 97 or something?

➡️ MECH B:
image.jpg

I reckon 1996?

➡️ MECH C:
image.jpg

This is a newer one obvs, something like 2004? FILTH.

No way, that early? I'd have thought C particularly was later.

I hope that XT mech is 1994 ideally - and if C does turn out to be 1997 then that'd be genius in terms of mech-bike matching (I've got a 94 lavadome, and a 97 cannondale)

I can tell you the model year,
manufacturer is harder and a guess.
Need the date stamp on it for that ;)

A) design started as RD-M560 in 1993... morphed into the M563 then M565 and finally M567 ending in 1998...
I'm not quite anal enough yet to know the difference between each but I don't think it's the M567 as it doesn't have a black back plate, so latest 1995

B) Is the RD-M737 (1994/5) and M739 (1996-9) design, you can tell the difference but I have a child to get out of the bath.

C) RD-M570 is too young and not allowed for dating.

... m570 is 8 to 14 years old

Results so far!

(A) is a 1994 LX; (stamped with an S)
(B) is still a mystery - 95-98 - THERE'S NO YEAR CODE ON IT!!!
(C) is a 2001 LX (stamped with a Z)

So what's the rule with the black back-plate? (B) does have a black back plate but there's nothing apart from Shimano VIA RD739

date stamp should be a two letter stamp, you need the month to figure what model year it may have been. But to be honest just use the model number as the part may have been made earlier but used at a later date.

One good example is M900 cranks. you find different dates on each arm, the rings etc even different years all on the same complete chainset.

So B) is M739, so 1996 to 1999 model year.

A) if a 1994 then could be any of three models (first three) just grab the RD-M5xx model number.

Ignore the last, its a 98+ era retro mech.

Back