So which Raleigh MTB is worth having? (Activators n/a)

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
So if an old raleigh fan wanted to pick up a decent mtb which would be worth having? Have seen lots of ridicule for various max, activators, ogres etc but haven't seen a recent ' love in ' for any of Nottingham's finest!

Here's your chance. What would I consider as a useable road (rigid) biased bike?

Lights blue touch paper and withdraws to a safe distance...... :mrgreen:

They are rare, but the 853 frames are pretty special and were all hand made.

Bikemeister2000 was there at the time and told me they only made 35, so you might have a bit of a search.

After the 853 the next on my list would be the Torus or any other of the titanium frames, again, hand made to order.

Next would be selected models from the Dyna-Tech range, like the ex-Barrie Clarke bike that is/was advertised in the classified section.

Plenty of love for Raleigh and I shall be wearing my team kit with pride on May 12th (I have two Raleigh road bikes).

There's a 91/92 dyna tech on e bay at the moment in slough. Looks to titanium/cro moly mix looking at the frame. Up at £30 at the mo. maybe worth a look? Green and silver paint. Needs work. If its anything like my 92 Diablo DX then it should be easy to build into a very light single speed for road use.

Don't discount m trax frames too as these kind of ran on from where dyna tech left off.

jimbog":31omzlxk said:
There's a 91/92 dyna tech on e bay at the moment in slough. Looks to titanium/cro moly mix looking at the frame. Up at £30 at the mo. maybe worth a look? Green and silver paint. Needs work. If its anything like my 92 Diablo DX then it should be easy to build into a very light single speed for road use.

Don't discount m trax frames too as these kind of ran on from where dyna tech left off.

Yes the stoke poges bike isn't doing it for me like an MF Explorer etc of similar vintage would/does. Grew up with Raleighs so was hoping to find a bit of brand loyalty retro appeal. Sadly I remain unmoved-have been trawling for a while and was seeking inspiration from you guys.

Looking forward to 12th. May change my ride. I have a plan b that may come off.

i have a dyna tech cro mo comp, 1991 i think........its made a rather spiffing single speed, rigid, road based, slick tyred hack.....i really rather like it.....i built it as a winter hack to not worry too much about but its too good for that really....

I own an early 90's Raleigh Dynatech Diablo DX, which is awesome, but I have owned an Activator and also thought it was awesome, so I'm not sure if I should partake in this thread or not???

:D

Ok I have thought and will join in :) my Dynatech is currently set up as my Road training MTB it has Scwalbe City Jet tyres, and is very fast rollin :) the rest of the bike is pretty much standard DX spec :)

Well I built my boy up a Dynatech which he thrashed round Mayhem a couple of years ago, and I built up a bog-standard, STX equipped MTrax for my neighbour which is quite a nice, inexpensive bike :cool:

Back