Questions about my gt lts 3000 I need answered

Lowtidejoe

Retro Newbie
First and foremost I have a gt lts 3000 ds. I have been DH/all-mountain riding. I'm not sure how far I can push this bike, the front fork is a marzocchi z3 bomber and the rockshox deluxe is still in the rear. The suspension is very cushy and comfortable. I have been riding single track trails in az at around 15-22 mph hitting and jumping rocks and tree stumps. So far I am very pleased with my purchase of 200$, but I was wondering how far you guys push these retro bikes. My largest jump so far is 4 feet up over 6 feet wide. Also, what can I do to prevent my lower back from getting sore? I ride with my seat a little bit higher than my handlebars. So my real question is should I be putting money in the bike upgrading the suspension and new handlebars/diskette even though its 15 years old?

Hi, and welcome to the forum :D

You certainly bought the right bike for the type of use you give it - The LTS isn't exactly known for being fragile and was designed with the type of riding you do in mind!

I'd suggest that you look at replacing the rear shock at some point (if it's still working fine, then there's no need to do it yet, but replacement parts are hard to come by). The only problem with the later LTS' (like yours) is that the rear shock has a trunion mount, so there are only a few shocks which will fit it ( Risse Racing make some nice ones :) ) - you could also look at buying a Fox (or similar) coil shock and having a new trunion made to fit. Unfortunately, the Rockshox shocks were never the best and there are less and less of them coming up for sale. I've got 2 spare ones though if you're ever stuck :)

I'd actually stick with it as it is - or maybe change the forks for something with 130mm travel ( Bombers are always a good bet and there are often one or two nice pairs for sale on this forum ;) ).

If your back is getting sore, then it sounds as if your either too stretched out or the front end is too low. A stem/handlebar with more rise, or a shorter stem might ease the issue.

I'm actually building up a STS at the moment, which I intend to use for almost EXACTLY the same as you!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=250479

tbh i wouldnt be jumping any lts or sts over anythin had a chainstay snap years ago doin jumps and didnt end well and again last year done a chainstay using the bike on the road (fitted with slick tyres and used as such ) cost me 120 quid jus for a broken lts frame to fix mine

sts are even more fragile so thats a no go (gfs running hers in road spec )

tbh its ur bike ride it how u want but i would be lookin if it was me at getting somethin modern and using that for jumping etc freeride all mountain bikes are out there

Thanks for the responses, i will start looking for a fork with more travel although i'm on a serious budget. I lowered my seat to where it's just about level with the hadlebars so hopefully my bike won't hurt as bad for todays training session. Barneyballbags you have a seriously sick set up, so rad. Do they make chain and bash guards for our bikes? When i'm flying down the mountain i can hear my chain is banging around up and down and i'm nervous about it flying off and sending me into some rocks.

Lowtidejoe":3o1p909l said:
Thanks for the responses, i will start looking for a fork with more travel although i'm on a serious budget. I lowered my seat to where it's just about level with the hadlebars so hopefully my bike won't hurt as bad for todays training session. Barneyballbags you have a seriously sick set up, so rad. Do they make chain and bash guards for our bikes? When i'm flying down the mountain i can hear my chain is banging around up and down and i'm nervous about it flying off and sending me into some rocks.

Yes, you can probably get a chainguide to fit your cranks, and an easy (and cheap!) tip to protect your chainstay from the chain slapping against it is to cut a strip from an old tyre and secure it in place on the chainstay with a few cable ties ;)

Thanks again, the little padded strip that was originally on there is really worn so i will definitely look into that old tire trick. How much travel does my bomber z3 have? 80mm or 100mm?

Lowtidejoe":2eyuhsg3 said:
Thanks again, the little padded strip that was originally on there is really worn so i will definitely look into that old tire trick. How much travel does my bomber z3 have? 80mm or 100mm?

You can get the Z3 with 80mm or 100mm, so a photo would help ;)

Yeah sorry about that, pics should be down below

10nb8qu.jpg

2rp8rnr.jpg

Next pictures bring me to a new question

4vomiw.jpg

kcg35.jpg

Is there anyway to increase my stopping power? I've got stock brake pads on there and i came flying around a corner today and couldn't slow down in time to take the turn, had to dump the bike and use a tuck-n-roll (not the preferred method)

edit: what do you guys wear when DH/Freeriding? I was using a tanktop today as it's really warm here in Arizona during the summer, i'm thinking about picking up a bike/MX jersey to throw on before i hit the trail.

Nice bike. Re: braking power first thing I'd do is check the adjustment of the brakes and make sure they're set up properly. If they are and you need more power the next thing would be to upgrade the pads. Kool Stop brand are what I use - typically the salmon compound because I'm in the Pacific North West - in the desert you may want to go with a different compound. If you still need more power your option is to try to get some old school hydraulic rim brakes by Magura or get a fork with disc brake tabs and upgrade your front wheel and brake to disc. If you don't have the tabs on the frame for the rear you can either run the v-brakes or I've heard of people getting after market clamp on tabs for discs and converting the rear that way. But seriously if you're going to do all of that you might as well buy a new bike with discs, more travel, and built for free riding.

FYI, if you do want some Maguras I have a pair of old HS22's with some spare slave cyclinders I'm willing to sell.

As for clothes we try to ride at least with a short sleeve shirt made with some breathable/water wicking fabric here and shorts in the summer. You'll still get road rash from a crash like you had, but at least there will be something between your skin and the ground. We also wear at a minimum shin and elbow armour and full finger gloves for free riding. A full face helmet is a good idea too - there are some with decent ventilation for hotter climates. In the winter everyone goes to long sleeves and pants with the armour underneath.

Back