Which Frame Should I Build Up?,

sproket_jockey

Dirt Disciple
Hi, Random one for you all, i have a hankering to build a Retro MTB for general use, not afriad to get dirty. I have a nice condition 92/93 Deore DX groupset and three frames to choose from only i don't know which one to go with, was hoping that you could help with the choice.

The first frame is a Saracen Special Edition, had one like this in early 2000 for racing on.
The second is a Marin Bear Valley, tatty but has original stem and forks.
The third is a Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro, this is where the DX groupset has come from.

Which one would you go with?????

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 526
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 526
  • P1010031.JPG
    P1010031.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 526
  • P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 526
  • P1010033.JPG
    P1010033.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 526
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 526
Shogun. I appreciate where they came from, some of the heritage & just for the fact that its rarer than the other two.

Sort a different stem for it though....

I'd go for whichever fits you.
the Saracen looks pretty small, the Shogun larger and the Marin in the middle ?

The Marin will probably give the better general bike of the lot, the Saracen the smartest looking and the Shogun the different from the colour factor.

Just get 2 more groupsets.

I would have the marin but my username says it all :LOL:

not a fan of the shogun if Im honest but the saracen is quite nice so that would be my second choice

Hi, thanks for the comments so far,

Do any of you recognise the Saracen frame, I looked through the Saracen catalogues and found one with the same stickers but the frame didn't have the pierced top tube?

I am only short with 30" inside leg, both the Marin and Saracen would be the best fit.

Well I'm predictable and I'd say go for the Marin...the Bear Valley rides really well for its position in the range...Shogun I'v never been a fan of personally and I know very little about Saracen.....

Sometimes you can have too much choice, i say either the Saracen or the Marin :D

I spent the last few months deciding which of my frames to build, still changing my mind :oops:

I made the mistake of asking my Wife what she thought :facepalm:

Oh btw the Marin frame has a '93 Eldridge stem and QR seat clamp on it...but looks like a 96/97 frame?

Back