Rock shox mag 21 gold paint reference

masmas

Retro Newbie
Hello one and all, this is my first post on retro bike!

I've just inherited a purple/pink gt zaskar 1995 bike that I'm currently cleaning up and restoring. It's a cool beast that I'm keeping original if I can.

The shocks are rock shox mag 21s but the gold paint work is vert tired and I'd like to strip them and re paint. Does anyone know of a good colour match I can get off the shelf in a rattle can?

Thanks

Hi

I'm just repainting a set of Mag 10's.

I've gone for plastikote brass metallic as the can lid was spot on the same. I'll find out whether is actually is in a couple of weeks...

I rubbed the flaking paint off and keyed the good paint then used alumium etch primer on the bare magnesium areas to build up the paint to the level of the good paintwork. Its not a pretty job as I had to pool the paint to build the layers up - I'll rub this down in a week when its dry for a smooth base.

I've painted forks before with plastikote with good results but its the same old boring story of time and effort blah blah blah.

On the Marzocchi XCRs I painted I ended up with 6 coats of primer on a full stripped pair of legs, 5 coats of colour and then a thin coat of laquer followed by a very heavy coat to get a smooth finish. The end result was great, but the laquer is a bugger to get smooth and the forks took 8 weeks to go fully hard.

Im now of the opinion there's no shame in forks with crap paint.

Thanks for your reply, ive just resprayed my Magura brakes with Hammeright Smooth Gold - and that seems like a really good match for the forks too. Although im going to ride it for a couple of weeks before start on the forks - i'm swaying to the thought that old paint is good paint!!!

I've done my 92/3 mags with hammered gold as orginal paint flaked badly. Not best paintjob but look alright to my eye and pretty close to orginal RS paint. Obviously colour on mags vary depends on year, smooth gold will be more suitable for later ones. Polished brace as it's only aluminium.
DSC_0773.JPG

DSC_0816.jpg

didnt some rock shox come with a brassy finish?

i.e. they looked like polished bare metal?

I think the titanium SLs, for example.

Does anyone know the exact shade of that?

The standard colours
MAG20 Flat Gold colouring, a cleaner colour than the later ones)
Gold with a hint of green, for the MAG21 1993 to 1995
The SL/Ti had a more translucent gold colouring (the ones you are talking about) and the 1996/7 ones used the much greyer Nickelite colouring.

Radoslaw":2yn20ul7 said:
I've done my 92/3 mags with hammered gold as orginal paint flaked badly. Not best paintjob but look alright to my eye and pretty close to orginal RS paint. Obviously colour on mags vary depends on year, smooth gold will be more suitable for later ones. Polished brace as it's only aluminium.
DSC_0773.JPG
DSC_0816.jpg

Bloody lovely job!! :D

I've got some shabby Mag21s that could do with a revival.. When you say Hammered Gold do you mean Hammerite?

Back