USE Alien Cyclops saddle clamp BOLT snapped - advice PLease

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Well, the worst seat post saddle clamp design has to be USE - crap.
My USE Alien Cyclops seatpost clamp BOLT (phew) has snapped while tightening.

The seat kept on slipping backwards, so I had to loosen it, adjust it then tighten it, while tightening it the bolt snapped
Left me stranded and had to ride home with danger of being impaled up the bum with that hooked part

Now where do I get the bolt from? I don't need a clamp kit, just the bolt

Anyone have any ideas?

Or anyone have any ideas about any better seat clamp design (bar the Clikon) which I could possibly replace this horrid USE Ti with?

Re: USE Alien Cyclops saddle clamp BOLT snapped - advice PLe

If it is the bolt I'm thinking of, then it's a pretty standard metric cap head screw, M3.5 ish? You could always try giving USE a ring, I know they have NOS stuff in stock.

I do agree though, that patriotism only goes so far, and those Alien seat clamps are rubbish, even the 'improved' version with two bolts is still the most difficult clamp I have ever had to contend with, Lord only knows why I have three of the things :roll:

yep, it's the bolt pictured here holding the 3 parts together

$(KGrHqN,!rUFDfWli9PnBQ64hu2zq!~~60_57.JPG

snapped!!!!

That's what I need.

then I will sell the seatpost or try swapping it for a better designed seat post.
ie. Syncros Ti

Lovely product, ruined by that piss poor clamp!
Whoever designed that needs their knackers removing :roll:

makster":3fses32j said:
Lovely product, ruined by that piss poor clamp!
Whoever designed that needs their knackers removing :roll:

Yep

So would this bolt be available?
And is it M3.5 ??

The only way I can check it for sure is to take one of my seat posts to bits.... and you know what the chances of that happening are.

Give USE a ring, I'm sure they'll tell you the size.

Have you got a picture of the bolt? Measure accross the threaded area to find the size (assuming its metric).

CRC used to carry spares

I called USE, they said they'll call me back tomorrow to let me know what they can do. Not having much luck as only spares in crc and other places are complete clamp kits and all I need is a bolt

It's only a cap head, you should be able to pick one up at any nut'n'bolt place.

If you take the two bits with you, they will be able to identify the thread size.

And just think, after you have got the bolt, you can have all the fun and games of reinstalling that devils torture device of a seat clamp... oh joy!

Back