Springs to use ?

Proflex656

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,
Has anyone used a non Proflex ( or dedicated aftermarket ) spring on the front fitted to some un-damped vector forks ?

There must be something usable out there that doesn't cost the earth I can find used here or on eBay ?

I could use land rover bushes, but thought somebody must have already found a suitable spring.

I have scan through the options, but most are a touch too long as the front end uses a spring a bit under 3".....

Has anyone used one of the cheap and cheerful springs taken from one of the Chinese rear shock units advertised for a £5 on eBay... I think I know the answer....

Thanks guys - jr

Elastomer has some inherent damping - if you simply replaced the elastomer with a spring and nothing else, you'd end up with a very nice looking pogo stick ;)

A spring on undamped Vectors would be pogo-city, but I honestly don't know of one that will fit for sure.
At least the Urethane Land Rover bushes have an inherent built-in damping quality to them (however small that damping may be), and it's a tried and tested solution.
What about upgrading to an ODS shock if that's possible? I've seen a couple on eBay recently, and there are ODS upgrade kit available, not sure it they are compatible with your Vectors?

Thanks fellas...
Anything other to try other than LR poly bushes ?
Anyone slotted in another damped shock without having to have parts made or modified too much ?
Jr

That's the thing with the Proflex/Girvin suspension, it's pretty unique to those bikes and those bikes alone.
From my experience you can...
1. use Land Rover bushes which are cheap enough to find,

2. get new elastomers from suspensionforkparts.net (they have a current listing on Ebay) which are pricey but should last for years and year

3. or try and find/fit an ODS system (if that is even possible?), depends on your model of fork I think.

4. Modify/machine something to allow you to fit a different shock. I got an, adapter for the rear of my Proflex that someone had made by "man with lathe" and allowed me to fit a modern Fox shock, I've also seen pictures on this forum of someone who made bushes etc and fitted a modern air shock to a set of Girvin forks, so it is possible if you have the time/skill/money.

Have a look on the Proflex idriders forum and see what you can find on there... http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/index.php?board=1.0

Back