Thorns, thorns, thorns....

Ippikin

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Just done a couple of rides on my MTB. First was down a canal towpath and today's down assorted bridleways/singletrack/roads. I think I must have had more tube <deflations> in 2 days/ 40 miles than in the last 2 years of road biking! Unbelievably tedious. Thorns is the problem (they don't even care if it is a front or rear wheel). I even tried a heavier/thicker set of tyres on today just to see if it made any difference - I don't think it did. I think I'm gonna sling the MTB back in the shed. Seriously though is tyre tape worth pursuing? It seems expensive (£10 per wheel) for what it is. Tyres used are Michelin Mud (very lightweight/thin) & Hutchinson Alligator (thick & heavy). Pressures are 40 rear / 35 front. Bike is a GT Tequesta full rigid :cool:

Tubeless is the only real solution for thorn punctures. Michelin tyres can be run tubeless very well too, even those not designated as being tubeless ready.
You can use the split inner tube method, Stan's yellow tape or 1" wide gorilla tape.
Let's you run better (lower, in other words) tyre pressures too, without the risk of pinch punctures :cool:

Or slime in your inner tubes to seal up the punctures.....I wouldn't go near a canal in the uk without slimed tyres/tubes, I too have learned the hard way!.....

feetabix":3qy13nti said:
Or slime in your inner tubes to seal up the punctures.....I wouldn't go near a canal in the uk without slimed tyres/tubes, I too have learned the hard way!.....
I've tried slime tubes - still nowhere near as effective as tubeless and heavier too, if you're bothered about that....
I started using tubeless tyres because thorn punctures in Greece were a nightmare - I'd be repairing tubes during every ride and, if not, the next morning as the tyres would have deflated overnight.
Since running tubeless - not one flat. Michelin XC Dry2 tyres, by the way. Some of the easiest tyres to set up tubeless that I've used. Michelin always seem to have good, non-porous sidewalls.

Andy R":xx0pmjuf said:
Tubeless is the only real solution for thorn punctures. Michelin tyres can be run tubeless very well too, even those not designated as being tubeless ready.
You can use the split inner tube method, Stan's yellow tape or 1" wide gorilla tape.
Let's you run better (lower, in other words) tyre pressures too, without the risk of pinch punctures :cool:

+1 !
I used to scoff at "tubeless" and hadn't had a puncture for over two years. Then I had about a dozen in a couple of months. I went tubeless - Stans yellow rim tape, no tubes jizz, and haven't had a puncture since. I've pulled a few blackthorns out of tyres though, when I change from summer to winter and vice versa.
I tried rim strips first, and they completely destroy the suppleness of the tyre, and they're a bugger to fit straight!

Yes, I agree Andy, I run tubeless on my modern bikes and I have not had any problems.....it is heavier but better than that feeling of realizing you have about another 25 meters to ride before you have to stop and repair a flat!....

feetabix":2krrbgze said:
Yes, I agree Andy, I run tubeless on my modern bikes and I have not had any problems.....it is heavier but better than that feeling of realizing you have about another 25 meters to ride before you have to stop and repair a flat!....
I disagree about the heavier bit - rim tape (of whatever kind) is probably a bit heavier than "normal" rim tape but even if you use 100ml of sealant, that's probably lighter than an inner tube.
I never use UST tyres, BTW.

There are varying shades of grey......my ust set up on the modern bikes is about the same as running with tubes, bearing in mind my modern hard tail has a lovely set of crossmax slr's to offset things a bit.....I run a few retro's with tubes and slime to prevent walking home.....

Tubeless won't make you immune from punctures. It's a pretty good option, but a relative pain in the nethers to fit and seal them, and virtually impossible trailside.

I've tried all options over the years, and armoured tyres for the road (not infallible but the most realistic compromies) and slime tubes for mtb are the most workable. The slime tubes do bring unwelcome extra weight, but have never failed to be me home without deflating - I once removed over 30 thorns from a tyre following a ride and still the slime tube didn't deflate, though as it more resembled a tea bag by then I did replace it.

Cheers fellas, some good advice. Not too sure I understand why tubeless should be better than tubed? I would imagine the tyres resistance to piercing would be the same as with tubes? Slime - not pretty when in tyre/tube gash situations - I would rather avoid this as a solution!

Back