Snap, Crack and Drop!

SteveKlein

Old School Hero
Got out on the bike briefly last night in the dying hours of daylight - nothing unusual so far.

All was well until I started to push hard on the cranks in a high gear and then..............SNAP!

F*@king chain snapped!

Things went something like this:
1)Right knee smashes into stem
2)Left Knee, Elbow and Hip smash into the concrete
3)Bike comes down on my left inner thigh.

I have managed to scrape a massive load of skin off my elbow, I'm bruised and scraped all over my legs and Ive scraped my stem/bars!

My question to all is:

Has this ever happened to any of you (cos in all the years of abusing bikes in the past ive never snapped a chain)?

Yep, this has happened to me in Thetford Forest, luckily i just came down in a crumpled heap on some soft pine needles (Not!!!) no injury just bruised pride as several groups of cyclist's passed me by whilst i picked myself up and dusted myself down, i always carry my multi tool which has a de-linker on it so i was able to re-connect chain albeit slightly shorter. I now carry a speed link with me just as extra back-up.

:)

Never happened to me personally, but nice seen it happen to someone else. My religious pre ride checks once picked up a chain with a broken link on one side of the chain, the opposite link gamely hanging on.

Chopper1192":3qt40ir3 said:
Never happened to me personally, but nice seen it happen to someone else. My religious pre ride checks once picked up a chain with a broken link on one side of the chain, the opposite link gamely hanging on.

As it happens when I got it back to the garage and had a look the chain another link had snapped on one side a little further along :shock:

Its going to make me a bit wary of putting loads of pressure on the pedals for a while!

I've had one go in 35 years of riding.....luckily I was sat down and it's only effect was a 30 bpm rise in heart rate.....a mate had a crank snap whilst bollocking round a roundabout.....he paid with about 5 square inches of skin and a ruined top!....not nice!....

Yeah. I snapped a chain. Similar results to you Steve. Still got some swelling round the elbow and my shoulder hasn't got full movement yet. That was start of March. Again a 9spd chain that had been on bike for 12 months. But the replacement did the same thing too on 3 occasions in the last month. So my decision based on that is that Shimano 9spd Chains = Good. KMC X9 Chains = Bad.

Tried it a few time's, resulting in bruise's, scrape's, battered b@ll's and a couple of mangled front mech's :evil:
All were Shimano 9 speed (crap if you ask me!), started using only Sram chain's a couple of year's ago and haven't had a problem since :D

Back