I was wandering through the barn one day......

stevebe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As the title says, but this was my own barn. Hidden under a pile of tut was my old Fusion 0260 with full XT 7 speed and polished ally finish. I bought it back in 1990 and used it for a year and thought my son had taken it, then I forgot about it. Originally it had Browning cantilever damped suspension which ramped the price up to about a grand - a lot for a home grown product at the time.

The thing is I reckon it could be brought back to life as the frame is undamaged and has geometry very similar to my Adroit and the welding is very neat as well. Also I did a quick polish of the frame just behind the logo and it came up like a new pin.
Wondered if anyone had any comments like "is it worth the trouble" etc. I can't recall seeing one of these anywhere before only a few 0250s so could be an excuse for some man cave time.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 809
Definately worth saving. Nice groupset for a start. Must have been a fit for you once if you bought it from new, give it a polish, degrease and regrease and take it away. Then if you want rid put it for sale but no harm in not doing it up a bit.

That's a positive start - thanks for that. Everyone knows the worth of mainstream brands but I don't know anything about this as far as reliability goes. I guess its out with the buffing wheel...perhaps I should do a vote.

stevebe":1yvq3nrt said:
has geometry very similar to my Adroit

Thats probably not by chance - the guy who ran Fusion was Greg Oxen, if my memory is working correctly, and he was the original importer of Klein into the UK.

Interesting that... so I have got a Klein Klone - it had to happen. Just put them side by side and apart from a taller headstock the similarity really jumps out.

I did something on the Browning fork a while back. I had contact with Browning around 1993 when he was trying to get his forks on Marins. I had a cartridge fail and he sent me a new one which was a devil to fit. I finally gave up on them when the cantilever bearing wore out. While they were a really neat idea the travel was not great so I slapped on the Ballistic things. The sad thing was that Browning gave up on the world and what could have been a great product. To answer the question I binned them like many other people have done only to find out latter they chucked gold away. The crazy thing is those old forks are still bouncy after twenty years of doing nothing.

Those Ballistic forks underwent a recall I believe as they were prone to separating.

The rest is worth saving.

Carl.

Back