SunTour is rising again...

euphras_1

Retro Guru
Check it out over here: http://sunxcd.net/

Surely, a small line-up for the beginning but bigger things may come over time.

A photo hot-linked from their new web site:
suntour_boardroom_crop.jpg

Thanks to mauricer for sharing these news! :)

Perfect...

Junzo feels the time is right to re-enter the bicycle component business. As he puts it “the market is too race-centric; carbon fiber, electric shifting, full suspension, 11 speed, doesn’t really enhance the enjoyment of cycling. In the 1970’s and 80’s we cycled to be closer to nature, for the environment, for our health, for the simple beauty of cycling.”

I would think freshtripe / veloorange might like this.
Also they would look perfect on the araya bikes http://www.araya-kk.co.jp/bicycle/

someone should tell them to get making the thumbies again and xc pro MTB stuff again

FluffyChicken":5ba851eg said:
In the 1970’s and 80’s we cycled to be closer to nature, for the environment, for our health, for the simple beauty of cycling.”[/i]
He's talking rubbish. In the 70's we were all on Fizzies the moment we were 16, and clapped out capri's the moment we were 17. People only rode a bike because they were too young to drive or too skint to run a car.

Seems they've not elarned the elssons of the past, which makes the future look ominous.

That is great news. Much of the current stuff is totally developed for racing and becoming less usable for touring - it sounds as though Suntour have seen the niche and started to address it.

10 and 11 speed is too finicky for a bombproof tourer for remote areas.

Chopper1192":3vpw7ydz said:
FluffyChicken":3vpw7ydz said:
In the 1970’s and 80’s we cycled to be closer to nature, for the environment, for our health, for the simple beauty of cycling.”[/i]
He's talking rubbish. In the 70's we were all on Fizzies the moment we were 16, and clapped out capri's the moment we were 17. People only rode a bike because they were too young to drive or too skint to run a car.

Seems they've not elarned the elssons of the past, which makes the future look ominous.

Not all - both me and my brother, and other people I've known, had no true interest in cars or motorised stuff. For us, at least, cars / motorbikes and the like, came about partly when older because of being able to afford them, and partly out of necessity.

Perhaps if I'd been affluent at 17-ish, maybe that would have been different, and I would have aspired to cars naturally - but I didn't not aspire purely because it would have been a financial effort, it just wasn't on my radar, or that of some other people I knew.

Neil":96qhlcci said:
Not all - both me and my brother, and other people I've known, had no true interest in cars or motorised stuff. For us, at least, cars / motorbikes and the like, came about partly when older because of being able to afford them, and partly out of necessity.
Indeed, there were people like you guys, and myself, in the 70's, but we were in the clear minority in a decade when motorised transport was highly aspirational.

And even among us ranks of enthusisats, who would choose perfectly decent and workmanlike Suntour if we could afford perfectly secy and tasty XTR or XX? Enthusisatic cyclists generally want the best they can get, not the merely adequate.

Chopper1192":1n8sik22 said:
Neil":1n8sik22 said:
Indeed, there were people like you guys, and myself, in the 70's, but we were in the clear minority in a decade when motorised transport was highly aspirational.

And even among us ranks of enthusisats, who would choose perfectly decent and workmanlike Suntour if we could afford perfectly secy and tasty XTR or XX? Enthusisatic cyclists generally want the best they can get, not the merely adequate.
I never sought out top end kit - neither BITD, nor now - I'm simply not a top-end cyclist.

I ran a bike with decent Suntour kit BITD, and I do use Suntour kit now.

I'm a big fan of perfectly decent and workmanlike. If I was an elite cyclist, no doubt I'd seek to kit out everything I have / use in top-end kit, but I'm not and I don't - nor ever have done.

I heart Suntour stuff. Ain't that just so twee, me and Suntour, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

More competition in the biz can only be good news for all cyclists - especially if it challenges SRAM and Shimano away from their current form over function designs.

Back