Rock Lobster...what are they all about!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So how do these bikes rate?? I can find very little about them on the tinternet and know that they are not a big company. Were they a decent framed bike? How do they ride?

Any info gratefully received and what year models were best and what to avoid etc! Trying to own something other than a Marin! :LOL:

Cheers

Doug

All individually built by Paul Sadoff, part of the Santa Cruz Bontrager/Salsa crowd for over 20 years.
They're currently 100% custom, but BITD there were some more 'off-the-peg' versions.
I borrowed one for a week, nice light Xc ride, like a Bontrager RaceLite.
http://www.rocklobstercycles.com/
One of the few builders to custom build in aluminium, too.

All the best,

danson67":2pv9yuwf said:
All individually built by Paul Sadoff, part of the Santa Cruz Bontrager/Salsa crowd for over 20 years.
They're currently 100% custom, but BITD there were some more 'off-the-peg' versions.

All the best,

Thanks Dan...I seem to be drawn towards them perhaps its a B-52 thing! So do you know what models were available or did they not have model names??? Seems they are all called just Rock Lobsters!

Doug

I want a retro one...just missed out on Jussa's frame a 96/97 Rock Lobster "expert" I believe...

I don't think Paul has model names for his own frames as they're all custom built.
The post '99 ones with names (Team TIG, Expert etc) are Sadoff designed/Kinesis made/Merlin sold.

The pre-99 Expert model was a similar, but in-house, venture '94-97, made in Taiwan to his design.

He's a wonderfully opinionated old curmudgeon up against the artsy-craftys Portland set.
Overopinionatedframebuilder is his other blog, as opposed to the clean one on his site.

I particularly like his NAHBS post:
...one can only begin to imagine what kind of incredible artistry will be gracing the halls of the next handmade bike show. Ideally, you won't be able to afford it and if all goes to plan, you wouldn't be able to ride it.......that, in bike show talk is a masterpiece.

Oh, and they are named after the B52s :cool:

All the best,

wookiee":17d7zywp said:
danson67":17d7zywp said:

All the best,

Thanks Dan...I seem to be drawn towards them perhaps its a B-52 thing! So do you know what models were available or did they not have model names??? Seems they are all called just Rock Lobsters!

Doug

I owned and raced one BITD (1994) and loved it dearly, sadly I parted company only when I took a late growing spurt
and sold it and bought a Large Pace RC200 F2.
The ridgid Bontanger Forks that I had on it would probably be worth more than the frame these days.
Mine was just Navy Blue with the Yellow squares which seemed to remain unchanged for years.

I'd own another in a flash,

[/quote]
I owned and raced one BITD (1994) and loved it dearly, sadly I parted company only when I took a late growing spurt
and sold it and bought a Large Pace RC200 F2.
The ridgid Bontanger Forks that I had on it would probably be worth more than the frame these days.
Mine was just Navy Blue with the Yellow squares which seemed to remain unchanged for years.

I'd own another in a flash,[/quote]

Does this opinion apply to the later models too particularily 96/97 Alu ones?

Doug

Latest posts

Back