Raleigh Activator I / II appreciation thread

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, so these take a lot of stick from former owners, I've had both for a few weeks and was pretty put off by the components used let alone the actual ride. Servicing the buggers was a nightmare in itself...

Anyway, show your appreciation here and keep it civil or the Mods will do a clean up so the words '____' and '___' are removed.

$(KGrHqJ,!pYFDZ8GBwEJBR!udMZu6g~~60_1.JPG

Cmon though, I know I'm new here but seriously. Back when these things were launched they were laughed at by the mountain biking community as a whole. they were tanks, they rode badly, they broke, and their suspension was novel at best, I don't know any people that loved cycling who would have dreamt of riding one, we were all on raleigh Summit's and such like by that point. even the advert on the telly for it was a bit naff. I don't think nostalgia is going to make the bike any better. ever.

I'm sorry. but I really hated them then, and nothing has changed :D they're aesthetically appalling :D

I was gonna buy one in the early 90's when a craze spread at work for cycling in. A colleague bought in and I had a spin and it was dreadful - heavy, unresponsive, uncomfortable, bad in about every way you could consider.

On the same budget I went a Diamond Back Sorrento, which while basic was a least a properly sorted and useable bike, not a ridiculous oversized toy. I used it for two years until I was run over by a Catholic Priest (honest!) And it was written off.

Conversely, I seem to recall my friend Al with the Craptivator gave up riding in after only a few weeks. Can't think why.

Dreadful machines and some up everything that was wrong with the Raleigh management's almost condescending attitude to the market at the time. That said, they historic machine in their own right in much the same way the Sinclair C5 and the Ford Edsel are, so I can see why people want one for their collection, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Made of Pig Iron, dressed in low quality components, not the most attractive, yet something alluring about them, and lets face it, they always cause a stir, parked alongside a Klein (Other Boutique Bikes Available) would still get loads of attention :)

Anyway i got mine a while back, had some fun on the trails and relived some childhood memories, dressed it up for Shizz & Giggles and then sold it to another RB'er who is still using it today, so can't be all that bad.

Oh, big thankyou to LGF for re-lighting the fire on this fine piece of MTB History ;) I never thought i'd see you do a U-Turn on the Craptivator.

Anyway for your pleasure and enjoyment here is mine before and after :cool:

Attachments

• DSCF3111ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    DSCF3111ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 5,876
  • DSCF3099Activator2.JPG
    DSCF3099Activator2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 5,876
I seem to recall at the time they were often referred to as the Rotorvator, as their weight an refinement had much uncommon with these horticultural devices.

One day I'll add one to my collection but only if its size huge and doesn't have a stuck seatpost as every one for sale I've ever seen has. They do have a certain something and I'd love to do the Red Run at Glentress on one just to see the looks on everyones faces.

I had an activator years back. I loved that bike as a kid, spent hours riding everywhere. Looking back, it was horrendous to ride and really wasnt very good, but I wouldnt change having owned it at all. It was like a best friend to me at the time :cool:

Only recently gave it away on here as it happens. It was never going to get used again so figured someone else can make the most of it. I am still waiting to see an activator 2 sporting a set of boxxers...

Back