Shimano IG Help Needed

RichMTrax

Dirt Disciple
Hi Can anyone Help Me please, I Have just had a few things done on my Mtrax, Had a service done just to Make sure everything was good.
They Fitted a New Can as they said mine was worn, But rear cassette and Chainrings were in good condition. They did this as I said I had noticed that in 1st & 2nd gear nearest the to the spokes, it would feel like it is slipping.

Now Just got bike back went out yesterday and all was great, then Dropped it down to the last two gears 6th & 7th. and really bad slipping and jumping of chain.
Sorry for all the waffle

Now I looked at the new chain and they have fitted a Narrow HG chain, But all my Gear is IG. spoke to the shop they said they always fit HG as it is better, and not there fault it must be the Cassette is Knackered.
I have had a quick Google and I found that people say IG is not compatible with HG Chains, can anyone please help before I splash out on Cassettes and Chainset when all I need is a IG chain.
Forgot to say I am running NON INDEXED I am using Fricton Shifters

Cheers

It's not THAT incompatible.

a new chain on a used cassette will skip if the cassette is too worn.

Only any real benefit with IG chains if you are running IG chainrings.

If it was MY shop then I'd have measured the old chain first and told you what the odds were of getting a new one to run on an old cassette.

Sounds like the cassette - or the smaller cogs at least are worn. I am currently having the same issue on an 8 speed with the 11t and 12t cogs slipping slightly under pressure with a new chain. As these cogs are smaller and have less teeth to spread the load (than the larger cogs) they will not mesh well with a new chain if the wear is too great on them.

only IG and Sram/Sachs Chains can be used with IG cassette properly.
HG chain wont work properly with IG cassette

HI thanks for all the advise I have ordered a new rear cassette HG one for the Short time and then will make mind up to replace with IG cassette and chain or Change Chainrings/Crankset. I have found it very hard to find a IG cassette from anyone so far and chains are quite expensive for IG.
So once again many thanks

RichMTrax":2nx1s610 said:
HI thanks for all the advise I have ordered a new rear cassette HG one for the Short time and then will make mind up to replace with IG cassette and chain or Change Chainrings/Crankset. I have found it very hard to find a IG cassette from anyone so far and chains are quite expensive for IG.
So once again many thanks

Any sram chain will be fine and they're not pricey

Thanks I had a quick Look yesterday, and as I thought I needed a new Cassette, I ordered HG one for the short time, Until I can source a IG Cassette then I am going to order one with a IG or Sram chain.but at least I can get back riding for a while.

Back