Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:40 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

highlandsflyer wrote:
Go on as long as you like, you won't convince me that a bike produced by the same workers a day after a buy out were suddenly crap.

He doesn't have to. The prices the post-Trek Kleins fetch on eBay should be indication enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Off to the tip with mine then....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Also, the bike in this thread is from 2000-2001... 6 years after the buyout.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Rumpfy, there are plenty great bikes that fetch next to nothing on Ebay and such.

I was buying and selling Kleins up to 96/97, and I can tell you I saw little change in the bikes coming out in those last two years.

There is plenty of room to elaborate here, it is not Twitter.

Lazily throwing the "Post Trek Crap" label around serves to undermine any advice one might sensibly give, such as opining that the quality went down after Trek bought Klein and by the turn of the millennium the bikes were mass produced shadows of their former selves. If that were even true, there is still much to be commended about the Attitudes of the early 2000s as bikes for riding.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master

highlandsflyer wrote:
I was buying and selling Kleins up to 96/97, and I can tell you I saw little change in the bikes coming out in those last two years.

Didn't trek stop all the proprietary lunacy in those years? Normal BBs instead of the integrated ones, etc.
I seem to recall reading that in an earlier discussion on this very subject. That would make the bikes from those years the best ones.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Raging_Bulls wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:

Didn't trek stop all the proprietary lunacy in those years? Normal BBs instead of the integrated ones, etc.
I seem to recall reading that in an earlier discussion on this very subject. That would make the bikes from those years the best ones.

If by proprietary you mean using JIS square taper (one of the longest running standards in the bike industry) bottom brackets then yes, they stopped that lunacy in 1996.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I mean this kind of stuf, which requires you to have a garage full of weird spacers and bushings that you don't ever use on a normal bike.

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... 96176.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

For me there is so much difference between the MC1, MC2 and MC3, i only really like the MC1's.....and a bit the MC2's...

If you only look at the shape of the frames, the steerer and the fork, the MC1 and MC2 are, in my eyes so much better looking than the MC3's.

And yes you need some special tools for the bottom bracket and the fork, but i don't mind to use them if the bike can look so much better :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

If better = more valuable, more desirable, etc., then we wouldn't be talking about old bikes on the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

As someone who has never owned a Klein all I recall BITD was Attitudes, and Adroits in Storm, Team etc with MC1's and MC2's and marveling at the headset setup, the smooth lines and the amazing colours and paint schemes. Then what made them amazing and stand out started to die and Klein was no more.

Last edited by Dick Scruttock on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next