I'm pretty sure I'm right..... seatpost shim knowledge check

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am sure I've done this before with no problems but I thought I'd check.

I have a USE suspension seatpost in the 25.0 size I want to put on my wife's bike which has a 27.2 seat tube.

So I need a shim BUT USE didn't make one as they make a 27.2 post so who would shim a 25.0 post when they could just use the right size in the first place?

I can't find anyone else who is selling a 25-27.2 shim either.

But (and I think this is what I've done before) all I need to do is bridge a 2.2mm diameter difference. So I could buy a 27.2 to 29.4 shim, the same 2.2mm difference, and that would work fine. Admittedly I may need to trim the shim a little where the gap in it is as the metal when sprung in a bit to fit the smaller seat tube might overlap or be too small. But that shouldn't be hard.

Does this all make sense? I am right, aren't I?

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm right..... seatpost shim knowledge c

Should work as long as you cut out a wider strip from the gap in the shim, possibly you might need to remove or cut in several places the lip at the top of the shim that prevents it dropping down the seat tube as this might impede the curving of the shim around a tighter curvature.

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm right..... seatpost shim knowledge c

Wow you got me confused there Rob, but its all clearer now ;) Hasnt there been cases where the Seat tube is wider at the top and narrow further down, so shimming means that the narrower seat post still fits in the seattube whilst still being secure by the shim and clamp? If you follow?

I try an avoid shimming, it was always my thought that more surface area touching resulted in stonger fitment of said post? and not just 1 1/2" holding the post secure.

I'm sure there is a technical reason for shimming, other than to open up a greater selection of seatposts to use.

Jussa :)

Back