Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:06 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: XTR touch up paint?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Time to jump in here methinks,
I've been looking into this since the question was posed in April.
I have another interest other than 'old MTB's' and this requires quite a few pots of 'model paint'. :facepalm:

The RAL code mentioned above does indeed refer to what is commonly called 'Panzer Grey', its correct term is Schwartzgrau - Black Grey.

I've been digging into the various model paint ranges available that have a 'Panzer Grey' in their range.

I have produced a colour swatch card of the available colours, however I'm out of the UK for at least a week so can not post this up for all to see at present.

Cutting this short.... Humbrol 67/ Tamiya XF63 or Revell No 9 are not even close in tone.
The best I have found so far is Vallejo Model colour 70.995 - German Grey 167, I've used this on a M-737 XT Mech and its almost indistinguishable from the exsisting colour. Its worth bearing in mind that the colour on these components will have faded/darkened over time with eposure to the elements and contaminants, so this shade may not match what you have. A complete repaint may be a better option than a large touch-up. I have a pal who has just had 'Halfrauds' colour match the grey on his Ultegra pedals, I've yet to see how close the match is.

Once I finish tracking down the remaining manufactures paints I will post up my findings.

The Vallejo colour mentioned above is available in Model Zone in the UK :D

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Andy T wrote:
Time to jump in here methinks,
I've been looking into this since the question was posed in April.
I have another interest other than 'old MTB's' and this requires quite a few pots of 'model paint'. :facepalm:

The RAL code mentioned above does indeed refer to what is commonly called 'Panzer Grey', its correct term is Schwartzgrau - Black Grey.

I've been digging into the various model paint ranges available that have a 'Panzer Grey' in their range.

I have produced a colour swatch card of the available colours, however I'm out of the UK for at least a week so can not post this up for all to see at present.

Cutting this short.... Humbrol 67/ Tamiya XF63 or Revell No 9 are not even close in tone.
The best I have found so far is Vallejo Model colour 70.995 - German Grey 167, I've used this on a M-737 XT Mech and its almost indistinguishable from the exsisting colour. Its worth bearing in mind that the colour on these components will have faded/darkened over time with eposure to the elements and contaminants, so this shade may not match what you have. A complete repaint may be a better option than a large touch-up. I have a pal who has just had 'Halfrauds' colour match the grey on his Ultegra pedals, I've yet to see how close the match is.

Once I finish tracking down the remaining manufactures paints I will post up my findings.

The Vallejo colour mentioned above is available in Model Zone in the UK :D

Andy

Useful, What about the XTR grey used from M950 onwards though?

I used to work in a Model Zone BITD :facepalm: :facepalm: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 pm 
Old School Hero

Come on people get buying XTR grey and save modelzone before its too late")

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.24 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Apologies for ranting - the administrator's will honour vouchers but for only.50% of their value.

You can bet Deloitte insist their bill is laid 100% though.