Noob to the retro scene - compatibility questions

Houlio99

Devout Dirtbag
Howdy,

Was a keen biker in my 'youth' but after traveling, Uni and a spell in London my old bikes have languished in the garage. 20 years on I've dusted down the old Zaskar (1994) and am thinking of the rebuild.

Shimano kit has farther moved on and I'm not 100% sure what's compatible; will IG and HG work together? If running an 8 speed cassette do I need a long or short cage rear mech?

I'm consdering reviving a pair of Judy TTs which appear to be a little soggy. Can new elastomers be sourced?

Indeed, is building a bike up using retro and new parts considered blasphemy round here or is that just plain good since?

Apppriciate any answers,

Cheers,
Jules

IG and HG work fine as far as i'm concerned

long vs short cage is about the total range of gears, so an 11-32 cassette would need long cage while an 11-23 would work well with short.

When it comes to the fork, one thing to consider is the frame geometry. I don't know what came on a Zaskar originally for a fork, but if your new one has a lot more travel it will affect the handling of the bike and how it feels. Generally speaking bikes from that era were either relatively short travel (50-63mm) and you will not want to go much beyond 80mm travel with a newer fork.

For chain and chainset compatibility, generally speaking newer shimano parts will work with older, but older will not always work with newer.

I'd rather see a bike back out on the trail than worry about it being correct. Go ride!

Thanks Shogun, indeed, fully intend to get back out using it. Just want to avoid a SRAM / Shimano mish mash I wince had that never worked happily.

Cheers,
JT

Back