Questions about Cassette rations/teeth and HG90

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Interesting reading about cassette ratio's.

I have a Dynatech MT4 and want to replace the 7 speed cassette.
What ratios would suit a 7 speed?
I'm pretty much a novice on these things so am not too up to date on what ratio suits what?

Reading on Sheldon brown, the guy says his favourite set up on 7 speed is 13-28 T

"...Of all the cassettes listed below, the one I [John Allen] like best is the Shimano M cassette. It has an even progression of ratios, without a big jump in the middle like many other Shimano cassettes (including 8- and 9-speeds!). With triple chainrings, the M cassette provides a very nice selection of drive ratios...."

I like the sound of that!

I wonder what others prefer (7 speed) and why?
And are these cassettes (13-28T) available? Any lightweight drilled type models?

In CRC and Wiggle all I see are Shimano Sora HG50 7 Speed MTB Cassette 12-21 and 12-28, HG41 Acera 11-28
and a SRAM PG730 12-32, BBB BCS 07S 12-28/12-32.

Another Question, What was the HG90 7 speed cassette like?

Cheers

Hg90 was like the rest of them but with a shiny chrome finish for DeoteXT.
The drilling etc you talk about on these 'budget' cassettes was not done back then, that craze started when XTR was released and eventually trickled down to the budget none Alu spidered versions.
12-28 was the original early 90's setup in 7 speed, 13-30 iirc was the other, but I never used it a 13 was't fast enough and 30/32 cogs are heavy.
12-28 matched nicely with 24-26-48 front, though I now run 11-28 8 speed to gain the extra 11tooth on top.

It is all personal preference, riding style and use. Hence there are so many or where so many different blocks you could buy.

12-28 tended to be fitted to the higher end bikes (I guess they assumed that the fitter riders bought the high end bikes, unlike today) and 13-30 at the lower end.

Carl.

drcarlos":ew8sydwf said:
(I guess they assumed that the fitter riders bought the high end bikes, unlike today)

Although 13-30 often came with 28/38/48 rings so actually had generally higher gears ;) Manufacturers are silly.

As has been said, 12-28 is the "classic". That 12-21 is a road cassette really but no reason you can't use it if you don't need lots of range. Does depend what rings you're using, of course. 11-28 7 spd is a bit gappy in the middle but that may not bother you.

I used to use 24/36/48 with a 13-30. FEEL THE LOW GEARS.

Thanks guys. My crankset is Chainset – Shimano Deore XT fitted with Pace 44/32/22 rings

MikeD":1y0e86ap said:
drcarlos":1y0e86ap said:
(I guess they assumed that the fitter riders bought the high end bikes, unlike today)

Manufacturers are silly.

Oh yes indeed, the irony of my Kona having lower gears than all the older bikes but with a geo that means that it pops a wheelie much earlier than the old ones so can't make the most out of the ratios.

Carl.

Back