Marin Team Titanium Retro Build

Gez

Retro Newbie
Dear All,

I've entered the world of retro building with a '95 Team Ti and need some guidance.

I've been able to secure a number of original spec or age appropriate parts, including what I think are Manitou 2 forks. Please see links below as I'd like an opinion on whether they are indeed Manitou 2's?

http://flickr.com/gp/gezgrundy/3N360w
http://flickr.com/gp/gezgrundy/0G3030

I have a few questions:

1) Are they indeed Manitou 2's, if not what?
2) They have a 1 1/4 steerer, I can easily swap the crown/steerer assembly for 1 1/8 but how easy is it to get hold of a 1 1/8 crown/steerer assembly?
3) They need renovation, again straight forward and the parts are accessible but is it worth it given that I also need a new steerer etc. Should I just buy an appropriate alternative and if so what?
4) I also really want the original spec White Industries crankset, how easy is it to come by these? Am I looking for hen's teeth?
5) Same question for the Bontrager/Titec seat post, can I get hold of one as I've never seen one?

Hope someone will be able to help.

Gez

Those do appear to be Manitou 2's however the 95 would likely have had a Manitou 4 (it was reviewed with in M4 in MBUK BITD) it's what i had for my one when i procrastinated about suspension or some Rockstars rigid forks.

With Manitou4's
04741733.jpg

Later wiht Rockstars and after having found the correct seatpin.
81fd1559.jpg

Thanks Taffy, may consider Rockstar in that case as my off-road use will be minimal.

Lovely bike btw.

Sadly gone (in a fit of poverty :( ) thats not to say Manitou 2's cant be fitted but 4's would be the right ones.

I offroaded with mine rigid no problems :)

As for the parts - luckily the WI cranks and front hub were fitted to a fair few other Marins in the 95 range along with the Cantilever brakes so it wont be a needle in a haystack to find them.

...didn't the Team Titanium come with genuine White Industries cranks, as opposed to the 'White Industries' branded Sugino items?

Back