What GT is this...

Peel that Bike ID sticker off - it might be covering the serial number.

I think its a 91ish Zaskar but the number would confirm that :D

2nd attempt to answer this one (damn internet).

Anyway looking at the other forum they've pretty much answered your question.
It's either an early Zaskar or Pantera. The only way to tell them appart is the 6061 stamp and the serial number,
neither of which you have.
As far as I know the frames themselves have the same geometry and gussets just made of different materials.
Short of analysing the metal you'll never know but other than a difference in resale value they are both great frames.

You guys are legends, thanks a million!

I guess you've answered my real question that its interesting enough to be worth building properly?

What fork and GS (wheels etc etc) would be sympathetic?

Glad to assist (we were all newbies once !).
Whatever it is its well worth building up. I was just thinking not sure whether it was a pricing thing back
in the day or whether they've all broken over the years but actually there seem to be less Panteras still around than
Zaskars.

Best bet is to use the search function on here to look at what other people have done with their Zaskar/Pantera.
I think the original Pantera/Zaskar both had similar Shimano XT spec so wouldn't make too much difference.

Forks anything goes (just not too long ! Modern forks are too long for a frame of this vintage and will knock out the steering geometry and
potentially crack the frame).

Also the catalogue selection on here should give you loads of ideas.

Looking forward to doing the research! I'd have 10 when this came out so it'd have the shiny thing in the shop that was a well out of my pocket money price range!

It came with a set of Manitou Answer forks. Worth keeping?

WWC":3md17k4n said:
It came with a set of Manitou Answer forks. Worth keeping?

Probably not, Rock Shox are more 'GT' and I would think either Judy SL's or SIDs (if you are light enough for them as they are quite flexy) would be right here.
Sell the Manitous on on here and have a look for the Judy's or SIDs.

Carl.

Back