Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:51 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 pm 
Geoff Capes

Nice find-think I would of fell off my chair too!.....Whilst looking for my credit card to pay for it if need be!

Swede wrote:
My SM500 frame arrived in the post on Monday and I paid the same for it as you did for your whole bike! :mrgreen: I've wanted one of these for years but I've got a long way to go before I get to ride it.

I have a recently purchased '88 SM700 frame, stowed away and I'm buying catalogue spec bits for it now, but I'm dying to build it up!! Ok it's not 26/24 but its going to handle beautifully & be a head turner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I'm busy writing the first post now; give me another 5mins...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

saulus wrote:
Nice find-think I would of fell off my chair too!.....Whilst looking for my credit card to pay for it if need be!

Swede wrote:
My SM500 frame arrived in the post on Monday and I paid the same for it as you did for your whole bike! :mrgreen: I've wanted one of these for years but I've got a long way to go before I get to ride it.

I have a recently purchased '88 SM700 frame, stowed away and I'm buying catalogue spec bits for it now, but I'm dying to build it up!! Ok it's not 26/24 but its going to handle beautifully & be a head turner.

Any pics? I think 26 is better for cruising or longer rides so probably more useable. Is the SM700 from 87 or 86? the 87 catalogue jumps from SM600 to SM800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:43 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

OSMojo wrote:
saulus wrote:

Swede wrote:

Any pics? I think 26 is better for cruising or longer rides so probably more useable. Is the SM700 from 87 or 86? the 87 catalogue jumps from SM600 to SM800

oh just noticed it's from 88 DOH!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:22 pm 
.o.T.M Triple Crown Winner
.o.T.M Triple Crown Winner

Congratulations !
I really love these bikes :D

My 1986 SM700

My 1988 SM600

In these days where all the brands want to sale us these horrible 29", these bikes are the bettre climber I have rode 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:30 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

@24pouces Thanks! very nice bikes, good looking tyres too. I agree about 24/26 being better than 29s, they're so agile, I managed to do a proper 'Rock walk' BMX trick yesterday, I can normally only do that on my 81 Torker BMX.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Awesome bikes 8)

Definitely up there on my wish list.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Resurrecting this post with some sizzling photo's. After much debate I'm thinking of holding off on the respray, the survivor look is just too cool to mess around with, at least for the moment. Also I still think the bike is a bit too big so holding off the investment of a respray until I'm sure, I'm 6ft1 so I'm not sure if I should be on a 20" or 22" anyone know if there's a general rule? Anyway I've put on some nice gumwalls 26x2.00 IRC & 24X1.90 Farmer Lookalikes, standard black QR wheels (cheap but very light) please note the sensational pink valve covers 8) me...I did that 8) . I have some pink cables that will be put on to replace the black gear cables. BTW these bikes are sooooooooooo light I can pick it up and rotate it with my wrist like an empty watering can. Was so nice to finally see the bike in sunshine the grey comes alive and looks much more sporty.

Sometimes only an old school word can be used for an old school bike but SM600s are....AWESOME!! ........................ :roll: "Did you hear what he said?" :facepalm: "Yes he said ...........awesome"

Last edited by OSMojo on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

I love that mate. If it was in a short ass size I'd be badgering the hell out of you to sell it to me :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:24 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

raidan73 wrote:
I love that mate. If it was in a short ass size I'd be badgering the hell out of you to sell it to me :lol:

:lol: nice