Slingshot 1990

stefan9113

Retro Guru
Hi all,

here I will start an new thread with a slingshot from 1990. Some of you know me. There are some Slings in my collection.

Here is the last one that I found. It was in a bad condition, I can pull the color in stripes from the frame, deep scratches, rust and chainsuck, a small dent, broken decals .... so at the end I gave the frame to an professional glass bead blasting factory. Then a smaltalk with my painter. The new paintjob is candy red with three layers of clearcoat at the end. What a color, wow.
The weather here is not so good, as soon as its better, I will make some better highres pics.
And sorry for my english, I'm shure that's not the best, but I will gave my best, hope you can understand all what I mean :LOL:

Now, I need some help from you, I'm looking for some parts, stem, seatpost, handlebar, cranks, I think I will use not black. Don't know witch breakes. Don't what XT. Any ideas?

Greetings Stefan

very nice collection stefan.
and i guess you will do another great job on this one too.
if you´ll need the stem we talked about in the past, let me know and you can have it.
but tell me fast, i´ll be away for quiet some time.

cheers kay

That looks VERY interesting.

Are you going to go modern running gear or retro?

Have a look here for some drop bar inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94356

Worth posting some pictures in that thread, you are sure to get a reaction :shock:

I have just finished a drop bar Rourke. I ended up using a combination of road and mtb gears / brakes etc, but if I had used a square taper bottom bracket I could have got away with road cranks, front mech and rear mech.

Bar end shifters are popular, or thumbie's, if you can find or make the mounting brackets.

Hi,

I will use this one, don't know exactly what levers.

Breaks maybe Controltech, RPM, MRC or Footworks.
Rear and front mech XT 730. Hope this works :?

Nice.

The trick with the shifters seems to be getting the amount of cable pull to match the F&R mechs.

I used SRAM Rival shifters and as all SRAM mechs have a 1:1 pull, I was able to change the front Rival (road) mech for an X7 (mtb) mech and get it all to work... just about.

It should be a fun project, my Rourke gave me plenty to think about along the way.

Back