Another P*SSED OFF Halfords customer

Danone

Devout Dirtbag
I've recently salvaged a wheel used for spares and/or repair, the rim wall eventually split from braking wear on the previous wheel so i extracted it and laced the hub to the replacement rim.

Anyway, i visited my local Halfords and mistakenly had the 'bicycle mechanics' true the wheel. Upon receiving a phone call the next morning, one of the staff members told me that the wheel was repaired and ready for collection having already carried out the service they also informed me about a 'hop' in the rim or as he put it; 'egged' and i may have hit a large bump to cause this. I hadn't ridden on the rim. Also, a raise in the rim suggests incorrect tension on the spokes and any such damage to it would be noticeable prior to truing, as my LBS explained.

I visited another Halfords and explained my concern and before even inspecting the wheel the bike mechanic seemed reluctant to taking on the job himself as he began making excuses, he said if the rim is raised or lowered too much it's irreparable and suggested i 'buy a whole nother rim!' I insisted he check and he said, 'it may take a few days'. He didn't acknowledge the fact that this was caused by his colleagues at the other branch. The wheel is currently being re-laced and trued but this isn't the first bad experience with Halfords i've had and i'm expecting the same response on the telephone within the next few days...

I don't believe my wheel is as untrue as the nonsense i've been told.

Rant over.

I hear you, i hear you...

I know you know not to bother taking a tech job to such a diluted bike store/accessory outfit, now.

But...my worry is that the hop should be done first, then the true(left/right). And, you would be amazed how a near taco'd rim can be real true again, assuming it's without fractures or big dings and flat spots. A trueing job from fresh lacing need not take much more than 1-2hrs in the right hands!

No guess work or here-say above, all proper experience and on the job observations.

I asked the teenage monkey in Halfords what size wheel bearings I needed for my Carrera road bike which came from HALFORDS and is still sold in HALFORDS.. Not only did he give me the wrong size but he assured me that the caged ball races they sold would fit in the bearing which currently has loose balls. He was wrong !

Danone":18twgp4n said:
I've recently salvaged a wheel used for spares and/or repair, the rim wall eventually split from braking wear on the previous wheel so i extracted it and laced the hub to the replacement rim.

Anyway, i visited my local Halfords and mistakenly had the 'bicycle mechanics' true the wheel. Upon receiving a phone call the next morning, one of the staff members told me that the wheel was repaired and ready for collection having already carried out the service they also informed me about a 'hop' in the rim or as he put it; 'egged' and i may have hit a large bump to cause this. I hadn't ridden on the rim. Also, a raise in the rim suggests incorrect tension on the spokes and any such damage to it would be noticeable prior to truing, as my LBS explained.

I visited another Halfords and explained my concern and before even inspecting the wheel the bike mechanic seemed reluctant to taking on the job himself as he began making excuses, he said if the rim is raised or lowered too much it's irreparable and suggested i 'buy a whole nother rim!' I insisted he check and he said, 'it may take a few days'. He didn't acknowledge the fact that this was caused by his colleagues at the other branch. The wheel is currently being re-laced and trued but this isn't the first bad experience with Halfords i've had and i'm expecting the same response on the telephone within the next few days...

I don't believe my wheel is as untrue as the nonsense i've been told.

Rant over.

that will teach you to use a super market chainstore instead of taking it to your lbs

I would never have taken a wheel to be laced/trued there.

New windscreen wiper blades if I need them,yes

Bike parts or "expert" advice no am afraid.

Hope all turns out ok in the end though!

The only thing Halfords is outstanding at is....supplying me with used cardboard bike boxes free of charge to send out frames and wheels in! Other than that I am better off dealing with any repairs myself!

Doug

Back