Retro hardtail shortlist £100-£150

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I am drawing up a shortlist for my next project :cool:

I am looking for a rigid bike around £100 - £150, i have very limited riding knowledge of bikes from this era :oops: and cant possibly ride them all so need help drawing up a shortlist.

Bike needs to be

Retro in the cantilever era 90-95
Rigid
Lightish and agile
£150 less would be better
Decent spec, as i dont plan to upgrade just keep stockish

Thinking along the lines of Marin, Kona, GF, DB, saracen etc.

I dont like using the term but a bike that gives good 'bang for buck'

Ta Retrobike :)

Diamonback, Axis or Apex? Not sure of the line up, but off most people's radar.
Some of the Italian or French brands too

suburbanreuben":1kajcia6 said:
Diamonback, Axis or Apex? Not sure of the line up, but off most people's radar.
Some of the Italian or French brands too

Thanks added to shortlist, i quite like something a little different.

HI Mate, might wanna be a bit more specific with your era.

if your thinking about stock then approx big changes

if your fussed...
canti v's swapped around 96/97.

Not sure when rear hubs changed from 130mm to 135mm around early 90's. its just worth thinking about if you think the wheels you have will automatically fit

inch threaded/threadless or 1 1/8 threaded/threadless varies much more between manufacturers.

Dont forget to consider seatpost are all over the place on older frames too.

Cheapest option I have found is too buy a solid/complete/high value example of a model. £150 really doesnt go far building from complete scratch.

For £150 should easily bank a reasonable orange c16r/p7 or kona lavadome... some can help with treks/specialized/giant model values. Battle worn frames if your not fussed should get you a cheaper.

Yeah sounds about right.

Kona for example is canti on a 96, v on a 97. The manufacture section in the gallery at the top, is a great archive for looking at model year and specs.

Konas are very popular. You won't get much for your money!
I couldn't give away a Scapin a couple of years ago, but it was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Too small though... :roll:

I have a '91 Kona Fire Mountain, 16" mostly complete: frame, P2 forks, Impact headset, Velocity stem, original bars (I think), LX derailleurs, LX chainset (with original Biopace chainrings!) that you can have for £75. Leaving you £75 to find a matching pair of wheels, some brakes and some levers... (it's too small for me)

Pierre":2ob5qebm said:
I have a '91 Kona Fire Mountain, 16" mostly complete: frame, P2 forks, Impact headset, Velocity stem, original bars (I think), LX derailleurs, LX chainset (with original Biopace chainrings!) that you can have for £75. Leaving you £75 to find a matching pair of wheels, some brakes and some levers... (it's too small for me)

Thanks for the offer, but just getting some ideas at the moment :D

Orange Clockwork and stretch to a nice set of RC30's or F7's if they fit the period. Personal choice but I was never a fan of the clocky's OEM standard curvey fork.

If you want to be a bit different to the herd try to find a Suntour microdrive model. (XC Expert, Comp or Pro).

Back