Opinions Please :) Bent derailleur Hanger (Too Far gone?)

Slow6

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A frame arrived in the mail today.

The derailleur hanger looks pretty bad to me.. as id it has been bent in and bent back in haste leaving it S shaped.

Thought I'd check in here to get opinions on weather or not it is able to be saved.

Some snaps...

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Opinions Please :) Bent derailleur Hanger (Too Far gone?

Straighten is to its at least on the same plane as the wheel dropout and bit should be ok. You can adjust the mech so it h and l line up with the cassette, so long as it's parallel to the dropout.

get it in a good machine vice , that should straighten it out

Thanks chaps. heard from the seller and apparently it was bent years ago and this is what a bike shop did for him as a repair. He said it has run fine as is.
I would like to get that ugly kink out though.. Maybe I'll get brave and clamp it in a machine vice.

ok to do cold do you think?

Fine to do cold, but does it really need doing? You've got quite a chunk of steel there and if it's aligned properly (get your LBS to use the big derailleur hanger alignment tool), bending it any more will only weaken it further, even if only slightly.

It might make the frame look a bit odd when it's naked like that, but I'd only bother with it if it looks unsightly when the frame's fully built up and you've got a mech and cable loop obscuring it.

Quality vice will sort that out. have seen far worse on here.

Looks like the dropout is bent inward a bit too. It's fixable with a vice and an adjustable wrench.

Park has a fancy (read: expensive) alignment tool. What I use is a 6" 8mm bolt and a 12" piece of bar 5/16" stock. Do some of your tweaking. Thread a nut on the bolt about 3/4", put the bolt through the hanger, thread another nut on the bolt to snug it up in the hanger. put the rod in the dropouts with the extra length sticking out the drive side. When you get the bolt shaft parallel to the rod in the horizontal+vertical+lateral axis, you've done it right.

I did similar to a frame of mine years ago, the damage actually ovalised the mech mounting hole, which pretty much wrote off the dropout. My Dad cut off the lower mech hanger part & using a shimano replacement (commonly available) derailleur hanger, cut off the comatching half & welded it in place. I got years more riding & racing out of that frame.

Likewise a frame builder could replace the dropout(s) for you at a cost.

Back