Amberwall slicks...whats a good lightweight choice...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Thinking of getting some slicks for my commuter ride...but still love the amber/tan wall tyres. What is a good light tyre?

Cheers

Doug

tioga city slicker available in skin wall, with a good carcass to take a bit of abuse doug.... :D

panaracer high wall too.......all available new.........a good detailed google/ebay search should find them....

Schwalbe City Jet. They're a modern replica of the old Tioga City Slickers really, so you don't have to worry about them disintegrating on a long or hard ride . Available in 1.50 and 1.95, both in amberwall and blackwall. I'm running the 1.95 amberwalls on both retro bikes and plan on getting the blackwalls for my modern.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Scwalbe City Jets again, just bagged a pair on ebay uber cheap, 26 x 1.95 shade under £25 for the pair, now on my Dynatech, must say although early days i'm very impressed :D

Jussa":zrq4dkdt said:
Scwalbe City Jets again, just bagged a pair on ebay uber cheap, 26 x 1.95 shade under £25 for the pair, now on my Dynatech, must say although early days i'm very impressed :D

Yeah just seen those myself 22.99 a pair! Very resonable when I think of what I spend on MTB rubber! One thing I am wondering...my commute to work is on very pothole ridden roads so I'm guessing a wider tyre might give me a bit more cushioning? Also as is often the case in the UK they will probably see their fair share of wet roads. Not being used to how these sort of tyres behave in the wet, will I be fearing i'll slip out if i put the bike over on bends? My other thought is some more dirt/jump bike tyres like the Intense Micro Knobby or maybe something like Schwalbe Fat Frank?

Attachments

• Schwalbe Fat Frank.jpg
    Schwalbe Fat Frank.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 412
  • intense micro knobby.jpg
    intense micro knobby.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 412
wookiee":2se0po84 said:
Also as is often the case in the UK they will probably see their fair share of wet roads. Not being used to how these sort of tyres behave in the wet, will I be fearing i'll slip out if i put the bike over on bends?
Contrary to popular belief, the thread on these slicks won't make much difference, if any.

When riding in the rain, the contact patch with the tarmac is all that matters. On a car or a motorcycle, the water sometimes can't "get out of the way" of the tyre, so it becomes a film between the 2 and causes complete loss of grip. The pattern/thread helps a fair amount by channeling the water outwards, but it won't perform miracles.

However on a bike you usually won't get to those kinds of speeds and you have much more weight per square inch of contact patch, which allows the tyres to push through the water on their own.
As a result, the only thing that matters is how good the tyre grips onto the (soaked and therefore still wet) asphalt.

Softness of the compound is the key, and the City Jets are reasonably soft considering that it's actually a touring-oriented tyre.
A Schwalbe Big Apple or their Super Moto (same as the big apple, but without the puncture protection strip) will provide more grip but will wear out a lot faster. So it all depends on what you're looking for exactly.

as to the part just before your quote : A wider tyre will give more cushioning indeed, at the expense of rolling resistance.

Latest posts

Back