Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Thinking of getting some slicks for my commuter ride...but still love the amber/tan wall tyres. What is a good light tyre?

Cheers

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

tioga city slicker available in skin wall, with a good carcass to take a bit of abuse doug.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Are they still available or do I need to keep an eye out for a second hand set?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

panaracer high wall too.......all available new.........a good detailed google/ebay search should find them....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Schwalbe City Jet. They're a modern replica of the old Tioga City Slickers really, so you don't have to worry about them disintegrating on a long or hard ride . Available in 1.50 and 1.95, both in amberwall and blackwall. I'm running the 1.95 amberwalls on both retro bikes and plan on getting the blackwalls for my modern.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 pm 
eBay Outing Master

another one for schwalbe city jets..you can go i think? 1.5 or 1.95 and you can now get them in amberwall as a pair for less than 25 quid

just an example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-City ... 53ecd3e631

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Scwalbe City Jets again, just bagged a pair on ebay uber cheap, 26 x 1.95 shade under £25 for the pair, now on my Dynatech, must say although early days i'm very impressed :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Jussa wrote:
Scwalbe City Jets again, just bagged a pair on ebay uber cheap, 26 x 1.95 shade under £25 for the pair, now on my Dynatech, must say although early days i'm very impressed :D

Yeah just seen those myself 22.99 a pair! Very resonable when I think of what I spend on MTB rubber! One thing I am wondering...my commute to work is on very pothole ridden roads so I'm guessing a wider tyre might give me a bit more cushioning? Also as is often the case in the UK they will probably see their fair share of wet roads. Not being used to how these sort of tyres behave in the wet, will I be fearing i'll slip out if i put the bike over on bends? My other thought is some more dirt/jump bike tyres like the Intense Micro Knobby or maybe something like Schwalbe Fat Frank?

Attachments:
intense micro knobby.jpg
intense micro knobby.jpg [ 16.6 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]
Schwalbe Fat Frank.jpg
Schwalbe Fat Frank.jpg [ 53.89 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master

wookiee wrote:
Also as is often the case in the UK they will probably see their fair share of wet roads. Not being used to how these sort of tyres behave in the wet, will I be fearing i'll slip out if i put the bike over on bends?

Contrary to popular belief, the thread on these slicks won't make much difference, if any.

When riding in the rain, the contact patch with the tarmac is all that matters. On a car or a motorcycle, the water sometimes can't "get out of the way" of the tyre, so it becomes a film between the 2 and causes complete loss of grip. The pattern/thread helps a fair amount by channeling the water outwards, but it won't perform miracles.

However on a bike you usually won't get to those kinds of speeds and you have much more weight per square inch of contact patch, which allows the tyres to push through the water on their own.
As a result, the only thing that matters is how good the tyre grips onto the (soaked and therefore still wet) asphalt.

Softness of the compound is the key, and the City Jets are reasonably soft considering that it's actually a touring-oriented tyre.
A Schwalbe Big Apple or their Super Moto (same as the big apple, but without the puncture protection strip) will provide more grip but will wear out a lot faster. So it all depends on what you're looking for exactly.

as to the part just before your quote : A wider tyre will give more cushioning indeed, at the expense of rolling resistance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:58 pm 
Retro Guru

Another for the City Jets here... 1.5's at about 80 psi and i fly like a rocket 8)