Black Generic 115mm low rise 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Silver Zoom 110mm high rise 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Black Generic 130mm high rise 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
None of the above 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

This is about the last thing I need to decide on for this particular project and I can't make up my mind.
I have 4 stems in my parts box now that will fit, but not sure which one 'works' on the bike so I thought i'd get opinions from here.
One thing to bare in mind that whichever one I choose will be powder coated yellow to match the frame. I want something that fits and will be nice to ride too. Anyway here's the pics:
First up is a 135mm off a Stumpie with integrated cable hanger
Next a generic low rise 115mm taken from an old Muddyfox, no cable hanger so I'll have to add one.
Next is a higher rise Zoom about 110mm extension also needs a cable hanger to go with it.
Finally is a higher rise 130mm extension stem taken from my bros old Dawes, built in hagner in this too.
Of course the option is for none of the above and to go for a 120mm zero rise or shorter like on Gravymonsters Avanti:
Whatever I choose though will need to be a skinny cr-mo nothing in Alu as they will be too chunky for the skinny frame and finding something 1" is quite hard.

Carl.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:43 pm 

give each one 15 minutes riding. the answer will then be obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
I think the 135mm Stumpie stem looks the most elegant and in proportion.
2nd choice would be Gravymonster's stem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm 
Old School Hero

One of these would work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tioga-T-Bone- ... 4d0ab0fedc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:48 pm 
Retro Guru

The specialized looks by far the best in my eyes. I think for the bike to work aesthitically you should always co ordinate the stem, seatpost and rims.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am 
Geoff Capes

The Specialized one. Looks the right angle and proportions - Painting it Yellow too? Cool

If you twisted my arm; my 2nd choice would be the roller stem on Gravymonsters Avanti.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm 

Some interesting responses and surprised to see the Stumpy stem coming out in the lead.
I will take it for a ride with them fitted to see what it's like with all of them (just waiting for the snow to so I can get out on the common).
I did take the bike for a quick spin with the Stumpy stem on it and it felt a little odd so it maybe a little long (although this is the same length and angle as the stem on my 89 courier comp and that rides really well).
The t-bones I have seen but at 150mm I think they are too long, the 135mm one will be the limit I think.
As for the colour coding the team bikes and replicas all had colour coded bars (blue) and stems (yellow) and I am trying to match this look. Have a look in my sig for pics of the team bikes.

Carl.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The Zoom looks the best and will give the best steering and the most comfortable and dynamic position, way better than the Specialized. Therefore, being Retrobikers, everybody (except me) will recommend the Specialized.

I have a Profile on my C-16R at the moment. Bling factor = zero. Retro appeal = zero. The stem I took off was a far more valuable and (theoretically) desirable Salsa zero-rise. The bike goes far better with the Profile.

Basically the bottom line is that long stems are awful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:03 pm 

Anthony wrote:
The Zoom looks the best and will give the best steering and the most comfortable and dynamic position, way better than the Specialized. Therefore, being Retrobikers, everybody (except me) will recommend the Specialized.

I have a Profile on my C-16R at the moment. Bling factor = zero. Retro appeal = zero. The stem I took off was a far more valuable and (theoretically) desirable Salsa zero-rise. The bike goes far better with the Profile.

Basically the bottom line is that long stems are awful.

My Sorcerer Mega shows this, with the 120mm Zoom that is currently on it is a far better ride than the old 135mm Muddyfox stem, it's a comfortable all day bike too, I just wish I could find a 1" version of that stem as the rise is somewhere between the zoom in the pic and the specialized and it's probably a decent compromise on length too. The Zoom in the pic doesn't look out of proportion here though (not like it was on my MF Pathfinder) so I will make sure it gets a fair trial ride too.

Carl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm 

Ride today showed that the Specialized is too long and low and the 115mm Generic is about right, it's just horrible looking and heavy.

I've just found a 120mm lower rise Zoom used in black, but it's in the US so it's a bit more than it would have cost over here but it's my unicorn so it's on it's way.

Decision made, just need to order the zoom cable hanger now.

Carl.