STI Lubrication

michael franks

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Does GT85 do the job or is there a more effective lubricant for STIs? I'd prefer to have something I can squirt down the holes (pause for sniggering) rather than taking the units apart. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Sarcasm time :D STI units you say :? any particular model ? because some are DIFFERENT
Is the grease in there slightly hardened ? Have they been sitting unused for a while ? Or is it that they've been heavily rained and pressure washed over the years and are devoid of any internal lube ?
Clues help ;) :D

If its just been sitting then it could be the grease is stiff and needs freeing up. If this is the case undo the lower cover screws about 1/2 way and spray in a tiny bit of a spray lube. These lubes are in a carrier solvent so it will wash away the grease if you use too much, this isnt what you want even though it leaves behind an oily residue that will work but will cause premature wear and you'll have to top it up quite a lot also.
Spraying in a tiny bit then working the lever back and forth till it functions properly ( having the cable fitted is handy to force it to return when you pull either trigger,just keep the pressure up on the cable)

If you suspect its completely dry inside ,take the lower cover off completely. If you have an pace grease gun( rc-7s) youre cooking but otherwise you'll have to get another grease injector from the lbs/ebay and use that. Handy bit of kit the old grease gun :cool:
Basically squirt in a bit into the WORKING areas and actuate the lever to help spread it internally.

Any other questions ?

Thanks for replying. STIs are LX 56x - the black ones with white lettering - 8 speed and in extremely good nick. All the 'clicks' are positive and there's no mechanical slackness or undue stiffness. I don't know what state the grease is in as I haven't taken the covers off. I've had them two years and they haven't been used because I got sidetracked on the build. They've been carefully stored all the time but now they're going to be used. :cool: I used to have a decent grease gun but I haven't seen it for a while, the only one I can lay my hands on is a cheapo Halfords one. :roll:

Back