UK vs US brake differences.

Jerseymike

Retro Newbie
Can anyone explained to me why we from the UK have the brakes set up properly like a motorcycle and elsewhere they have it set up wrong?

It's saves your already taxed brain from having to remember what lever to pull

I'd go deeper into it and explain the difference between using your foot vs hand to brake, but I'm guessing that's beyond you

dyna-ti":2hglqy2s said:
Right hand is front in the UK isnt it :? I always forget

Yup. I'm used to having the front brake on my right hand but the bikes here in Canada are the other way round.

I just picked up a couple of bikes here and had to swap the cables round before I killed myself.

I was just wondering if there was a reason for it? Or how it come about? Surely can't have anything to do with side of the road we drive on in different countries?

front brake should be on the left, thats the proper way.

I believe the reason is (and there have been a zillion htreads on this) is that you are supposed to use the inside arm (the one closest to the centre line of the road) to do hand/arm signals and so the rear brake is set up for the other arm...so left rear for right hand drive contries and the other way around for the left hand drive countries (of course I run it backwards, as I'm just better)

Back