Alpinestars cro-mega LX/DX question.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi, hope you aren't too cold guys.

ALPINESTARS 1991 cro-mega. I've got one to refurb later this year. after a long hard stare at the existing components, some have been upgraded but, it seems i have a 'DX' model. This was mainly determined by the alu megalite stem and dx cranks. no decals are present, you see ;)

Here's the thing. I'm not blown away by the grey/white colourway of the DX (sorry) but do love the red/white of the LX. so, apart from components like grouppo, stem etc...is there any other way to determine if i have a DX or LX if i was just wielding a frame only? i.e serial number?

I ask this dubious question as it would irritate me if the serial number could be deciphered to identify DX from LX and, i did the opposite aesthetically. end of the day i will resurrect the bike as it should be according to serial number but, if serial number reflects year, frame material ect..only then, i would much prefer to go the LX route.

thanks in advance.

C'mon Marc I think you know it's a DX and just looking for a slim excuse to paint it red and white!!!! Grey/White, far classier, can't help you out with the serial number thing I'm afraid.

just looking for a slim excuse to paint it red and white!!!![/quote said:
must be the 'boro fan in me ;) I'll keep looking for a fail safe response that LX and DX frames are identical and cannot be seperated by serial number then it's red/white(here's hoping).

Don't know if this help's Marc but the 91 brochure states the DX has investment cast fork dropouts as opposed to the LX which has forged fork dropouts, not a definitive answer but its a start, it also states the DX frame was double butted and the LX wasn't.

So that is your answer, grey and white just like my new one is going to be. If you insist on Red, get some red inner tubes! :LOL:

Tc":27p68kz9 said:
The Lx forks has mudguard eyelets where the dx doesn't!

Tc
cheers tc, the bike came with full-length mudguards,half arsed fitted, just about gives it away as an DX.

to all, the stem is long since binned and replaced with something thicker than balsa-wood original.

I'm just going have to sit and stare at it til i've decided which way to go LX or DX.

PICT0001.jpg

cheers everyone.

Nice to see you with another Alpinestars Marc, I've always regretted not buying your 92.

Much prefer the grey dx colours but then I'm biased ;)

Just to be a pain why not either paint it in the red and white and have the decals made up as Cro-Mega-Custom

or use the white and a colour of your choice Blue Green perhaps would be different

or call it a Cro-Mega XT which didn't exist give it all XT parts and paint it any colour you want maybe the black and white of the Al-Mega XT

just ideas don't shoot me !! :facepalm:

Back