Super Gear Bi-directional pedaling system

jpicard616

Old School Hero
A while ago I found a US ebay listing for a set of Super Gear cranks, the likes of which I had never heard of. So I did some searching online and was able to find one other page that had some info on the brand:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=67039

It shows a photo of the chainrings and bottom bracket which is described as "the ONLY bi-directional pedaling system," which I take to mean that you can pedal forward or backwards and still propel the bike forwards. I've seen this done before on a custom bike made by Circle A Cycles in Providence Rhode Island, but their bi-directional pedaling bike was accomplished with an odd crossing chain setup with an extra cog mounted somewhere (can't quite remember the specifics), and either direction pedaled would result in a different gear ratio. It was a pretty neat concept, but wasn't the most practical design.

Does anyone on here know anything about the Super Gear company or setup? I'd be interested to find out how their bottom bracket actually works.

It's basically a hub gear with an extra bit inside that engages when the crank moves backwards.

If I was to speculate it may consist of 2 freewheel style arrangements where the pawls face in opposite directions and the backwards version would have another couple of gears to reverse the drive direction.

Back