What does period correct mean?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Does period correct mean, parts manufactured at the same time as the frame (ie 1997 Shimano units with a 1997 GT Zaskar)
Or parts available at same time as the frame? (Including all parts manufactured at same time and any legacy parts available) eg. M900 mech on a 1999 frame?

I read period correct as parts in manufacture / shops at the same time as the frame. Your example M900 on a '93 frame.

Catalog Spec/Correct as parts only as spec'd by the manufacturer for that model year.

frame & parts in same year basically.
either that or you aint gonna be a Dad this month ;)

RBG

To me it means that model year but allow a year or two later, unless it's s large jump in part like as full m737 XT group set on a 1992 frame. I would call that modernising.

Some may pick up old stock and put whatever fancy bits might be going cheap, like skewers, tyres are on discount when they aim for weight, some colour or just plain worn out. Never for the main forks and groupset though.

of course you have them folk that are always stuck in the past, insist on putting thumbies on a 1995 bike and Syncros forks on a 1993 frame :facepalm:

Opinion only;
but I think of it as components that were available year of manufacture but not exactly the proper date code. For example a "H" date code on a deerhead deraileur means 1983 manufacture but I wouldn't be put off if I was putting together an 83 project and used an "I" (1984) deerhead deraileur. To me it would still be period correct. Using an M730Xt Deralieur that was not available in 1983 to me would not be period correct.

I stand corrected
I assumed it meant anything available at the time
even legacy stuff. Ie a XTR M900 rear mech (1993?) on a 1998 Frame. But nothing newer than said frame. By legacy I mean not items which will be totally put of place. Ie it'd be silly to put an M900 mech on a modern 2013 frame. (Unless the frame is made to look like a 90ies frame)

For me it means parts that don't look out of place in terms of years of manufacture.

i.e. lock on grips are very modern, shadow rear mechs.

For example my '92 Xiazng has mid nineties parts on and doesn't look too worse for wear, also the stem is only a couple of years old but doesn't look out of place.

to me it has to be available in the shops in the year of manufacture. May have come out before, but still available as a new item. The 1 thing I've allowed to be outside this category are rims. X517 are an acceptable substitute to me on my 96 bikes, although came out in 98

Back