Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

I've managed to end up with some MA40 650W rims (4 off NOS). Anyone know anything about these - they seem to be about 5mm larger on diameter than a 'normal' 26" MA40 :?

As an aside I thought that the 'MB' suffix came a little later on in production - the ones with the earlier green/yellow stickers are just called 'MA40' IIRC, when they adopted the m231 style multi coloured sticker they seem to have been called MA40 MB.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:06 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

nevadasmith wrote:
I've managed to end up with some MA40 650W rims (4 off NOS). Anyone know anything about these - they seem to be about 5mm larger on diameter than a 'normal' 26" MA40 :?

As an aside I thought that the 'MB' suffix came a little later on in production - the ones with the earlier green/yellow stickers are just called 'MA40' IIRC, when they adopted the m231 style multi coloured sticker they seem to have been called MA40 MB.

Bearing in mind, the original rim was cut down from a road bike rim. hence the designaton MB

or that was the mavic reps explanation to me BITD.

:?

Attachments:
mavic 1989.jpg
mavic 1989.jpg [ 239.55 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Going completely from memory fwiw, i think the first first MBs started to show up as early as the later half of 88, i dont think the 231 was availiable OE or aftermarket untill 90. :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:04 am 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner

MikeD wrote:
walleater wrote:
Maybe Mr B should have cut down a touring rim!

He did -- his first rolled-down rim was a Super Champion Model 58 pulled from one of Specialized's bins :)

As for the width, he said this: "The reduced width was a necessity, not a planned thing. That it worked at all was a surprise."

'84. It was a pair, and he paid 1$ apiece for em

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am 
Dirt Disciple

sinnerman wrote:
nevadasmith wrote:

Bearing in mind, the original rim was cut down from a road bike rim. hence the designaton MB

or that was the mavic reps explanation to me BITD.

:?

Those mavic headsets were brilliant! I had one on my 1990 clockwork as the rc30s used to shake the xt one loose all the time. Never a problem again after I fitted the mavic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:12 am 
Dirt Disciple

sinnerman wrote:
Going completely from memory fwiw, i think the first first MBs started to show up as early as the later half of 88, i dont think the 231 was availiable OE or aftermarket untill 90. :?

I think you are right there, I worked for orange in 1990 and when I started there were a lot of m6s being fitted early in the year but by then end of the year it was nearly all 231 with m6s going on LX bikes. I only remember building up one bike with ma40s and I think it was a team bike with a specific request on rims.