Mavic MA 40 Rims -Looking for some Info and reviews on these

Woodyuk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi

I have just purchased a set of Mavic MA 40 rims for a Centaur hub build?(a Spontaneous buy should have done some research 1st :facepalm: )
I have been searching the Internet and can not find too much info on them apart from they should be from 1987? ( Does anyone know how long they were made for? They are for a 1991 Build)
Has anyone used these Rims and have any opion if they are any good ?

Cheers

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 18 08.51.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 18 08.51.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 5,224
Re: Mavic MA 40 Rims -Looking for some Info and reviews on t

Lovely rims to look at but a nightmare to get tyres on and off as you do need two tyre levers :LOL:

I had mine built in 1991 on XT11 hubs and were pretty solid for xc.

Cheers

Yep read that while searching that they are real pain to get tires on and off...
Just hoping I will not get too many punctures...

I had some in 92/93 iirc, different stickers to yours though (mine had similar stickers to the M231), make sure they are MA40MB rims though, as the MA40 was a road rim also.
Yes changing tyres was a pain, but once you get used to them it becomes 2nd nature.
I remember they were pretty light and strong, ideal for the sort of xc riding folk did in those days.

Checked they are defo the 26" MTB Rims and not the road rims :D

I seem to remember them being a upgrade option on orange bikes in 1990, I vaguely remember them going onto prestiges specced with xt as they were popular for Xc races.

Forgot to add, they were an upgrade only due to them being super light for the racing types, but for all round use the 231's were a better (stronger) rim.

Fact.

Prior to keith Bontrager cutting down and re-rolling a Mavic Ma2/40 road rim, all mountain bike rims were considerably wider.

It was felt mtb rims of the time carried unnecessary weight, and less strength.
Once KB had proved the point, Mavic and others followed suit.

The Ma40mb was born.

The Ma40 mb, was avaliable a long time before the more modern M231, if my memory serves.

By the time 91 came, it was the industry standard. everybodys rims were narrower, and the ma40 was used by many for its better spec"d bikes. Orange included.

The pics below, show a Ukai um20 rim, the narrowest rim, i could find at the time, prior to KBs roll downs, as used on the TBG konas.

the following two pics show original Bontrager Rolldowns

the last pic, an Original Mavic Ma40mb, "mountain bike specific"

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Mavic%20trying%20to%20keep%20up___.jpg
    Mavic%20trying%20to%20keep%20up___.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5,156
  • How%20did%20we%20manage_.jpg
    How%20did%20we%20manage_.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5,156
  • BONTRAGER%20ROLL%20DOWNS.jpg
    BONTRAGER%20ROLL%20DOWNS.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 5,156
  • Ukai%20UM20.jpg
    Ukai%20UM20.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 5,156

I had some back in the day and also remember tyres being a bitch to get on and off. I wrecked the rear one pretty quickly but the front one lasted OK. Maybe Mr B should have cut down a touring rim! Seemed like a good idea at the time but narrow rims are never good for supporting a tyre.

I think history has proved otherwise.

Back