Fuji SL v Columbus

Hotwheels.

Old School Grand Master
Which tubing is regarded as the best of these two? I've recently acquired a Sunn frame and all pics I've seen of the same model year are Fuji SL but mine is made of Columbus tubing. Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Oh, it's a 99 Urge UN by the way.

Hotwheels.":1951ylwn said:
Which tubing is regarded as the best of these two? I've recently acquired a Sunn frame and all pics I've seen of the same model year are Fuji SL but mine is made of Columbus tubing. Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Oh, it's a 99 Urge UN by the way.
It depends which grade of Columbus tubing you're talking about. The high-end Columbus tubesets were more highly rated than Fuji Stout Lite, but I must admit I don't know whether stout Lite was heat-treated as Columbus Cyber and MAX OR were.

Tazio":fswcbyxi said:
xerxes":fswcbyxi said:
I found this, but couldn't find anything by Fuji: http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columbus/columbuschart.htm

Shame all the tubing makers don't copy Reynolds which is easy to work out, the bigger the number the better the tubes. :D

The bigger the number the lighter the tubes I thought, not necessarily better. All depends on the job on hand surely?
Indeed lighter, but not necessarily stiffer, stronger, more ductile or less brittle either. Reynolds do a mind boggling range of tubing with different characteristics for different applications. Don't read too much into the series number as that only denotes a particular production method, not Its awesomeness.

Reynolds do a mind boggling range of tubing with different characteristics for different applications. Don't read too much into the series number as that only denotes a particular production method, not Its awesomeness.

OK, let me put it another way, the bigger the number, the more expensive it is. :D

I know there were several versions of some of the "numbers", for example 531ST (Special Tourist) and 531C (Competition) which indicated the particular alloy and I'm guessing that versions denoted that tubing was the same basic material, but different guages/thicknesses and perhaps different cross sections and butting to give the finished frame different characteristics - lightness, stiffness, durability etc. In any case, I generally find that Reynolds numbering system is a bit less cryptic than some of the names other manufacturers use which make it a little unclear as to where in the range a particular tube set is.

Back