'90 Zolatone Marin Pine Mountain restoration - FINISHED!!!

Foulplay

Devout Dirtbag
Finally, after months of polishing and replacing parts (with much assistance from retrobike), my '90 Pine Mountain finally emerged from the shed this weekend, finished and ready to roll (or be hung on the wall!)

MPM1.jpg

Full restoration thread with scores of pics here - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=223311

Now, the question is, do I take it out and get it messed up again, or do I hang it on the wall and admire it from a safe distance forevermore?! :D

Re: '91 Zolatone Marin Pine Mountain restoration - FINISHED!

Lordy! You spend all that time and effort making such a lovely looking bike then utterly ruin it by putting the saddle in such a stooooopid position! ;)

That was a pretty rude way of telling you that (for the sake of showing off the bike anyway) the seat should be dead level, and an imaginary line drawn up the centre of the seat post should pass through the middle of the top of the saddle when viewed from the side. Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view, there should be a minimum 3 inch drop from the nose of the seat to the handlebar.

Beautiful bike BTW, I would love one just the same.

Good man, You can achieve the 3" drop by lowering the stem and raising the seat, rather than just raising the seat to an unusable level. If you're going to ride it (and you really should) don't make it uncomfortable just for aesthetics sake.

Also IMHO a black Flite seat would be the perfect finishing touch rather than that period-incorrect Marin saddle, just my 2 cents, feel free to tell me to STFU.

I agree that something so small can make a bike look so bad and detract from all the hard work! Luckily you have done a brilliant job and it's nothing a few turns of an allen key won't sort out. Nice work :D

mechagouki":2fn6ceas said:
That was a pretty rude way of......

Chillax dude! Just gentle leg pulling is all. Note the smiley. :)
It is otherwise very lovely and a joy to behold.

Ahh, well... if I was going to ride it, I wouldn't be worrying about aesthetics, as that just won't come into things if I'm going for an accurate biomechanical fit.... Seatpost height for correct leg/knee extension; saddle position for correct knee over pedal position; stem height for correct/comfortable reach etc...

If the correct seat came up on eBay, I'd probably swipe it, and the same goes for Deore DX brake/shifters (instead of the incorrect XT parts that I have put on there), and also a pair of Marin Rockstar tyres would be a great find! If I was really going for a 100% accurate recreation, I'd also need to source the DX brake blocks, and maybe even the correct bottom bracket.

As you can see... there are quite a few inaccuracies at the moment, but the bike is looking good now and I can sit back and take my time correcting those inaccuracies as and when parts become available. :D

Peterpoddy":bs3u0bmg said:
mechagouki":bs3u0bmg said:
That was a pretty rude way of......

Chillax dude! Just gentle leg pulling is all. Note the smiley. :)
It is otherwise very lovely and a joy to behold.

No offense taken... It's all good. :cool:

Back