V Brakes having issues srtting them up !!

Woodyuk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi

Never had V brakes before always Canti or disc brakes so having some issues with setting these XT V brakes up and working...
There is no tension on the brakes when I set them up ?
The long metal bar just flops around and has no tension
Do V brakes just stop working after a while or have I missed something :roll:
Tried tightinening small screw but did not help

Cheers
For any help

No, the arm is certainly supposed to be pushed outward by the spring. Care to show us some pics of the setup? Perhaps the springs are on the wrong way or something.

Hi

Thanks for the quick replys
The 1st picture is off the original brake pad and it seems to be the only brake that has tension ? so thinking it could be the pads ??
Here are some pics ...not best quality but hopefully will help
I have changed the brake pads from original XT to clarks that do look a bit thicker ....
Rest of pics are with clarks brake pads

Attachments

• DSC01358.jpg
    DSC01358.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01359.jpg
    DSC01359.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01360.jpg
    DSC01360.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01361.jpg
    DSC01361.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01363.jpg
    DSC01363.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01362.jpg
    DSC01362.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 365
Once you've got them cabled up and the spring on the right side of the stop on the arms, you can tension it via the small spring tension screw towards the base of each arm. Easier done with the cables/noodles in place than without, though not impossible, though I doubt you will get anywhere near how it should be without doing this.

If the new brake pads are thicker than the old ones, you may want to swap the washers on the brake post around.

If you look at the brakes, you should see that there are two washers, one thin, one thick:

v-brake-cartridge-brake-pads.jpg

Put the thin washer on the inside, like they are in the picture above, and the brake arms will be closer together.

Also, is there a little peg on the brake arm that fits into a little hole on the brake boss? There are usually three holes on the brake boss and you can adjust the spring tension by using a different hole in addition to the little grub screw on the brake arm for fine adjustment and centering the brake.

Cheers fo the tips

Will try in the week with cables attached and bolts changed around

Thanks again I will let you know how it goes....

Charlieboy28":1g37evwq said:
minor_LEGEND":1g37evwq said:
Its not uncommon to have to bend the springs outward in order to generate more spring tension.

this

and put the locator pin in the highest hole

Precisely, there should be 3 holes on the brake boss for the locator pin on the back of the V-brake to fit into, if you're having problems with the tension of the arms then try locating the pin in the uppermost hole, just like you would with a canti brake setup.
I know that on my XT v-brakes you don't get much tension on the arms until they are a few cm's from the rim, but it's still easily enough to move the pads away from the rim, also the springs like to pop off the spring stop on the V-brake arm... number of times I've refitted a wheel only to find the arms aren't "sprung" anymore :roll: only a 2 second job to seat the spring back in position though :)

Back